School of Nursing Home
Net Price Calculator
Accreditations & Approvals
Our Faculty & Staff
Our Nursing Program
The Geisinger-Lewistown Hospital School of Nursing welcomes your interest in our RN diploma program. Nursing is an exciting and rewarding profession that is rapidly growing and changing. Our program is designed to give students a solid knowledge base and a great deal of exposure to the clinical area in order to prepare competent and high-quality graduate nurses who are ready to practice in today's challenging health-care environment.
Following the successful completion of the program, graduates will receive a diploma and be eligible to sit for the NCLEX-RN.
Program Length: Students may choose a two-year or a three-year program.
LPN to RN Track: The Geisinger-Lewistown Hospital School of Nursing offers an LPN to RN track. LPNs can take challenge exams for certain courses.
Geisinger-Lewistown Hospital School of Nursing
The Geisinger-Lewistown Hospital School of Nursing exists to provide quality nursing education to a diverse group of students in a manner that enables the graduates to become leaders in providing competent and safe care in a variety of settings in order to meet the continually changing healthcare needs of the hospital’s and school’s community. We recognize that nursing is an evolving profession that requires life-long learning and adaptability. We strive to achieve academic excellence through ongoing program evaluation and quality improvement activities.
The faculty of Geisinger-Lewistown Hospital School of Nursing believes that:
Nursing is a profession committed to the health care of people in a variety of settings with the concept of caring deeply rooted in its history. Nursing is based on a theoretical body of knowledge founded in the sciences and humanities. Nursing practice is implemented through the nursing process, utilizing principles of communication, teaching, leadership and critical thinking.
- A holistic approach is essential to meet the ever-changing needs of clients, families, and communities while recognizing the uniqueness of the individual.
- Nursing strives to encourage the individual to maintain balance with the environment through methods that promote, maintain and restore wellness and independence or provide for a supported, dignified and peaceful end of life.
- Health is a dynamic, individual and fluid phenomenon that evolves throughout a person’s lifetime through adaptation to internal and external environments.
- Nursing education is a lifelong endeavor that builds on previous knowledge and skills necessary to practice safely and competently. Nursing education includes the integration of cognitive, technical and psychosocial skills. The role of nursing faculty is to nurture the growth of each student throughout the teacher-learner relationship, utilizing planned learning experiences. Through didactic instruction as well as a strong emphasis on clinical practice, graduates are prepared to function in a competent and caring manner. Principles of adult learning are at the core of the teacher-learner relationship.
- The School of Nursing is an integral part of the mission of Geisinger-Lewistown Hospital and the community it serves.
The objectives of the Geisinger-Lewistown Hospital School of Nursing are as follows:
- To provide an educational process that prepares graduates to function at an entry level in the profession of nursing.
- To emphasize clinical excellence in all areas but especially in medical-surgical nursing and gerontological nursing.
- To emphasize critical thinking skills and leadership skills in the management of patient care.
- To foster a lifelong commitment to the profession of nursing and the community it serves.
- To foster the development of a caring nurse-patient relationship through various methodologies beginning with a caring teacher-learner relationship.
- To design the program so that educational mobility is assured for all graduates.
- To recruit and retain qualified faculty.
- To satisfy all licensing rules/regulations and accreditation standards through appropriate resource allocation.
Student Learning Outcomes:
The overall program objective of the Geisinger-Lewistown Hospital School of Nursing are to graduate students who are successful in entering the profession of nursing and whose nursing practice reflects the philosophy and objectives of the Geisinger-Lewistown Hospital School of Nursing as well as meet the program outcomes listed below. Each graduate will:
- Practice holistic nursing in a caring manner.
- Demonstrate excellent critical thinking skills and leadership skills in the management of patient care.
- Assume accountability for professional practice, lifelong learning and self-direction.
- Utilize the nursing process effectively.
- Demonstrate exceptional clinical skills, especially in medical-surgical nursing and gerontological nursing.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the evolving healthcare needs of the community served.
- Utilize nursing theory, the sciences and legal/ethical standards to provide competent, safe and culturally sensitive nursing care.
National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses
Pass Rate (10-1-2010 to 9-30-2011) 100%
Pass Rate (10-1-2011 to 9-30-2012) 100%
Pass Rate (10-1-2012 to 9-30-2013) 100%
Program Completion Rate
Academic year 2012/2013 - 74%