We currently accept five fellows per year. To date, more than 85 physicians have completed the program and are now engaged in the practice of cardiovascular diseases in private practices, teaching hospitals and university settings. We accept applications through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) and we also participate in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP).
Requirements for application
Graduation from an approved U.S. or Canadian medical school or ECFMG certification for graduates of other medical schools outside the United States. Graduates of foreign medical schools should be certain that their visa status will permit completion of training and that they qualify for Pennsylvania state licensure before applying to the program.
- Completion of an approved three-year residency in internal medicine at an accredited three-year program.
- Superior performance demonstrated during residency.
- License or eligibility for permanent and unrestricted license in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- For those applicants who are not U.S. citizens, visa status should be documented.
Fellows are expected to become certified in internal medicine by the American Board of Internal Medicine at the earliest opportunity and certainly before completion of their fellowship.
Examination sequence acceptable to the board
All applicants must send a copy of scores from licensure exams from any of the listed sequence to ERAS. Any complete sequence is acceptable to the board. Additionally, international graduates applying must submit a copy of their ECFMG to ERAS.
- NBME Parts I, II and III
- FLEX Component 1 and 2
- USMLE Steps 1, 2 and 3 or COMLEX 1. 2. and 3
- NBME Part I or USMLE Step 1
- Plus NBME Part II or USMLE Step 2
- Plus NBME Part III or USMLE Step 3
- Flex Component 1
- Plus USMLE Step 3
- Or NBME Part I or USMLE Step 1
- Plus NBME Part II or USMLE Step 2
- Plus FLEX Component 2
- Curriculum vitae
- Personal statement
- Dean's letter or medical student performance evaluation
- Three letters of recommendation from your current program: if you have already completed your residency, we require one letter from your program director, one from another faculty member, and one from a current colleague.
- ECFMG (international graduates)
- A copy of your scores from licensure exams (FLEX or board scores) See examination sequence acceptable to the board (above).
- Original transcript of grades.
All of the above information must be submitted before Aug. 31, 2017, for an application to be considered complete for the 2018 - 2019 academic year. After the application is complete, the file will be given to the cardiology fellowship director for review and possible interview. Interviews are scheduled between September and October. Submit all letters of reference and information through ERAS. Do not send any paperwork to our program. Paper documentation sent to the office will not be associated with file. Everything must come through ERAS.
Advise us if you are applying with another applicant, who is a significant other and would like consideration for dual placement.
Geisinger has a policy that all applicants for employment under final consideration agree to submit to a drug screen. We understand that this is a delicate subject and we have a protocol in place designed to protect your privacy. If an applicant has questions regarding this process, we will be happy to provide a copy of our policy upon request.
Terry Bauch, Program Director
Cardiology Fellowship Program
100 N. Academy Ave.
Danville, PA 17822-2770