About Geisinger's Anesthesiology Department and Residency
Welcome to Geisinger Health System's Anesthesiology Residency Program.
The primary goal of Geisinger Health System's Anesthesiology Residency Program is to provide residents with the clinical training, knowledge, skills, resources and experience to not only meet the requirements for board certification, but to become a safe, competent and professional consultant anesthesiologist.
The Division of Anesthesiology consists of 67 staff anesthesiologists, eight pain medicine physicians, 18 anesthesiology residents, 186 nurse anesthetists, and two regional anesthesia and acute pain service nurses currently providing anesthesia and pain medicine-related services at nine facilities:
- Geisinger Medical Center (GMC), Danville, Pa.
- Geisinger - Woodbine Outpatient Clinic, Danville, Pa.
- Geisinger - Shamokin Area Community Hospital (G-SACH), a campus of GMC, Coal Township, Pa.
- Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center (GWV), Wilkes-Barre, Pa.
- Geisinger - South Wilkes-Barre Hospital (GSWB), a campus of GWV, Wilkes-Barre, Pa.
- Geisinger - Bloomsburg Hospital (G-Bloom), Bloomsburg, Pa.
- Geisinger - Gray's Woods, State College, Pa.
- Geisinger - Community Medical Center, Scranton, Pa.
- Geisinger - Lewistown Hospital, Lewistown, Pa.
During the internship year (clinical base year) and first year of residency (CA-1 year), resident rotations will take place only at the two Danville facilities, located less than two miles from each other. In later years and during elective rotations, residents may participate in educational and training activities at GWV. Extensive technologic capability allows for real-time distance learning during conferences, without the commute.