Geisinger Commonwealth launches West Campus
First group of learners start at the Lewistown regional campus
July 7 was a night of celebration as Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine welcomed 11 students to the new West Campus headquartered at Geisinger Lewistown Hospital.
Small town life brings lessons in diversity
West Campus Regional Associate Dean Julie Xanthopulos, MD, PhD, greeted the audience, which included students, regional and school leadership and area community leaders.
“The new West Campus will train future physicians uniquely suited for the complexity of patient care in rural settings,” she said, noting that the campus will offer teaching opportunities for faculty and staff.
Kirk Thomas, chief administrative officer of Geisinger’s Western Region, agreed that the 11 newly arrived medical students will benefit from Lewistown’s rural setting.
“Geisinger is a system that values diversity — and that includes diversity in the clinical venues available to our students,” he said.
President, Dean and Chief Academic Officer Julie Byerley, MD, MPH, noted the campus is a welcome addition to Lewistown’s thriving educational center, home to Geisinger’s school of nursing. She looks forward to seeing the West Campus become a hub of scholarship and learning.
Welcoming our learners
The first students at Geisinger Commonwealth’s West Campus are:
- Kaitlin Anderson – Port Matilda, Pa.
- Evan Bair – Wellsboro, Pa.
- Youcef Boureghda – East Stroudsburg, Pa.
- Patrick Callaghan – Broomall, Pa.
- Miranda Chen – State College, Pa.
- Alexis Notarianni – Scranton, Pa.
- Mira Patel – Duncansville, Pa.
- Miranda Rep – Hanover, Pa.
- Lizbeth Sandoval – New Rochelle, N.Y.
- Richard (Parker) Shea – Park City, Utah
- Justina Warnick – Wilkes-Barre, Pa.