Acceptance into the elective is by application only.
All applications must be submitted through the Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS).
Regardless of your future career plans, your pulmonary medicine experience will provide a personally and academically satisfying experience. Geisinger Medical Center is a unique academic medical center melding educational experiences in the setting of both a local community hospital and a tertiary/quaternary care medical facility.
You will be exposed to both common and rare medical conditions during your rotation. You also will be able to seek appropriate learning opportunities to make the most of your individual Geisinger experience. The staff and residents are excellent resources to further your education.
Goals & objectives
To gain experience with the approach to understanding and managing the pulmonary patient. During the one-month fourth-year elective in clinical pulmonary medicine, the prospective student will:
- Become proficient with the pulmonary consultation history and directed physical examination
- Become proficient with the recognition and management of common pulmonary conditions such as asthma, pneumonia, and COPD
- Become familiar with the approach to tertiary-level problems in pulmonary medicine, such as interstitial lung disease, pulmonary hypertension, and lung cancer
- Become proficient with reading and understanding basic pulmonary function testing
- Become familiar with the integration of radiological findings with physical examination and clinical history
- Become exposed to pulmonary invasive procedures, such as bronchoscopy, endoscopic ultrasound, thoracentesis, and specialized pulmonary function testing