Acceptance into the elective is by application only.
All applications must be submitted through the Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS).
Our goal is to introduce the medical student to the field of rheumatology in a fashion that is both exciting and educational. We believe the student will complete this rotation with an excellent understanding of what a rheumatologist is, how our field fits nicely into internal medicine as well as how we interact with orthopaedics and rehabilitation medicine.
Goals & Objectives
- The student will attend clinical conferences held three times a week with trainees and rheumatology staff.
- The student will attend research conferences where the student will observe our clinic research projections from start to finish.
- The student will attend monthly rheumatology journal clubs.
- Our staff is full-time based. The student will shadow with a staff member on a daily basis to observe the clinical approach to rheumatology including history taking, musculoskeletal exam, joint and tendon sheath injections, review of serologies as well as radiologic review on all our patients. In addition, we have injection models where we can over with the student in detail the proper technique of injecting knees and shoulders, which we have found to be quite beneficial with previous preceptors.
- The student will also see inpatient rheumatology consultations with our staff and rheumatology fellows.
- The student will sit in on rheumatology nurse specialist meetings with patients for patient education on various topics.