Geisinger Primary Care Plus Scholars Program
You’ve worked hard to get here. Now be free to achieve your dreams without the burden of loan repayment schedules and interest rates.
Geisinger wants its smart, hardworking medical students to be free to practice medicine the way every future doctor imagines it – through meaningful, long-term relationships with people who become more like family. And we all want our family members to stay healthy and strong so they can live their best lives, unburdened by disease.
That’s why we created the Geisinger Primary Care Plus Scholars Program. Here’s how it works:
- You'll graduate without tuition debt and receive a $2,000 per month stipend.
- Upon completion of residency training, you'll become a Geisinger-employed physician. Specialties include family medicine, internal medicine, medicine-pediatrics and psychiatry.
- 1 year of service equals 1 year of support, with a 2-year minimum.
Primary care is the key to better health for all. That’s why Geisinger supports the ideals of its future doctors in an environment that places primary care where it belongs – at the forefront and as the leading concern of every innovation and technological advance that happens within Geisinger’s walls.
What’s even better? We free our medical students from the financial concerns that often derail their dreams.
Reinventing primary care for the future
Here are some of the unique, primary-care-focused programs in which we will immerse our students:
- Primary Care Redesign, which focuses on team-based care, population identification and risk stratification while incorporating analytic support and electronic medical record solutions. The goal is to provide care for our patients in our communities
- Fresh Food Farmacy, which offers prescriptions for no-cost nutritious food to food-insecure patients with diabetes, with the goal of keeping their disease under control.
- Geisinger 65 Forward, primary care clinics tailored to meet the unique needs of those age 65+. You’ll get longer appointments, social activities, wellness classes and VIP-level, personalized care
- Geisinger at Home™, our at-home care program that delivers care where Geisinger Gold members with complex, difficult-to-manage health conditions need it most: Right where they live. Through this service, our team of doctors, nurses, dietitians, social workers and other medical professionals help keep patients healthier and better connected to care by delivering it right to their doorstep.
- MyCode Community Health Initiative, a precision medicine project that analyzes the DNA of patient-participants who sign up. Through this project, we are already improving healthcare by finding ways to diagnose medical conditions earlier – even before symptoms appear – and also to help find new treatments or medications to manage these diseases.
Geisinger believes in primary care and its power to evolve medicine from disease management to enabling stronger, healthier, more vibrant communities. Geisinger Primary Care Plus Scholars will join us in leading that transformation.
Students interested in applying for the Geisinger Primary Care Plus Scholars Program must:
- Submit an AMCAS primary application and Geisinger Commonwealth secondary application.
- Answer “yes” to the first question on the Geisinger Commonwealth secondary application regarding interest in applying for the Geisinger Primary Care Plus Scholars Program.
- Complete the question regarding primary care and provide any updates to your experiences that align with the Geisinger Primary Care Plus Scholars Program.
Students are selected to participate in this program based on the following selection criteria: financial need; merit; diversity; and likelihood of staying at Geisinger beyond the service obligation. Students not selected for the Geisinger Primary Care Plus Scholars program will also be considered for regular admission into the MD Program.