Students interested in applying to Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine’s (GCSOM's) MD program should:
- Complete an application through the online American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS), the national application for U.S. MD programs.
- AMCAS application completion includes an application fee and all supporting documents as requested.
- Geisinger Commonwealth will only consider verified AMCAS applications (no incomplete applications will be reviewed).
- Submit letters of recommendation via AMCAS Letters.
- All applicants are required to submit one pre-professional/pre-health/committee letter or three evaluation/recommendation letters from faculty who are familiar with the applicant’s career goals and academic coursework.
- The admissions committee will consider additional letters that highlight and support facets of an applicant’s application portfolio not previously addressed, and are submitted via the AMCAS Letter Service.
- For non-traditional students, the admissions committee will consider letters of recommendation written by individuals who have firsthand knowledge of the candidate’s strengths, work ethic, abilities and commitment to the field of medicine.
- Complete the Geisinger Commonwealth Secondary Application.
- All AMCAS verified applicants will automatically receive a secondary application.
- Application fee is $100.
- Candidates in receipt of an AMCAS Fee Assistance Program (FAP) waiver may submit a PDF copy of the form to email@example.com.
- Take the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) Situational Judgement Test (SJT).
- GCSOM is strongly encouraging applicants to take the AAMC SJT. We will consider scores as one part of our admissions process.
- This exam will be free and administered online using remote proctoring for the 2022 application cycle.
- For more information, visit GCSOM's SJT announcement and FAQ page.
Early Decision Program (EDP) applicants: Applicants to the EDP must complete an AMCAS application and select EDP on the AMCAS application. EDP candidates must submit all supporting documentation to AMCAS no later than Aug. 2, 2021. EDP candidates will be notified no later than Oct. 1, 2021.