One degree - many paths to successGeisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine educates aspiring physicians, scientists and the healthcare team members of the future to serve society using a community-based, patient-centered, interprofessional and evidence-based model of education that is committed to inclusion, promotes discovery and utilizes innovative techniques.
Our students learn in an environment created specifically to address the medical and scientific realities of the 21st century. Geisinger is a pioneer in technologies and techniques ranging from fully integrated electronic health records and care delivered by multidisciplinary teams, to bioinformatics and an unparalleled genomics program. Geisinger Commonwealth embraces these advances while meshing them with the age-old philosophy of biomedical science: care and concern for community. Our curriculum encourages students to take a person-centered approach to problem-solving and we inspire our learners to meet change with confidence and an open mind. These qualities, coupled with superior communication skills fostered in innumerable small groups and professional interactions, will serve you well in any career in medicine or science.
Whether you are seeking to position yourself for further graduate study, attend professional school (such as medical, dental or optometry), gain entry into a health-related field or advance within your organization, Geisinger Commonwealth’s Master of Biomedical Sciences (MBS) program will prepare you to succeed.
Why earn your MBS at Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine?
- Academic rigor: Geisinger Commonwealth emphasizes excellence. Our curriculum is rigorous, intensive, comprehensive and recognized, which means education institutions and employers know a Geisinger Commonwealth diploma means an exceptionally qualified candidate.
- Personal attention: Our students learn in an intimate, close-knit environment. Each MBS student receives personalized advising to assist in making the best academic and professional choices. Geisinger Commonwealth’s Center for Learning Excellence provides a host of personal, academic and referral services to enhance the interpersonal and educational experiences of our students.
- Real-world education: Our intensive biomedical curriculum includes elective courses that allow students to choose a personal path to success. Between our two campuses, we offer a range of experiences that could involve research, corporate visits and mentoring from faculty, research scientists, business executives and entrepreneurs.
- Student-centered schedules: At our Scranton Campus, students attend classes full-time and complete the degree in approximately 10 - 12 months. At our Doylestown Campus, students earn their degrees in approximately 18 months, attending part-time, evenings and weekends.
- Enhanced credentials: Highly qualified medical school program educators and research scholars will guide you through the MBS curriculum, which closely models courses typically found in the first year of medical school.
- Research experience: Students can explore opportunities to take part in community health research or apply to become an intern or research assistant in one of the research settings within our system or with an education partner.
- Career focus: Our professional development courses will help you craft your personal statement and Curriculum Vitae (CV), practice interviewing skills and gain insight from a variety of health professionals regarding your career options.
- Exceptional preparation: If you are interested in professional school, coursework is aimed at this preparation through the Princeton Review MCAT Prep Course, or participants may choose to study for the Dental Admission Test (DAT) or Graduate Record Examinations (GRE). These comprehensive courses are offered at no additional charge.*
* Students who achieve a benchmark score in the MCAT or other standardized exam may elect to opt out of the Princeton Review and take an additional elective course.