Girls in Science
Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine’s (GCSOM's) six-month science program for seventh- and eighth-grade girls!
Hosted by Geisinger Commonwealth’s American Medical Women's Association (AMWA) chapter, Regional Education Academy for Careers in Health – Higher Education Initiative (REACH-HEI) and Center of Excellence (COE) for Diversity and Inclusion
Local seventh- and eighth-grade girls are invited to participate in a fun, science-filled program created specifically to provide visibility and engagement with women in the fields of medicine, healthcare, public health and the sciences.
Girls in seventh and eighth grade who have an interest in STEM (Science / Technology / Engineering / Mathematics, with an emphasis in health/medical careers) are eligible for this program. Those from first-generation-to-college and underrepresented backgrounds in science are encouraged to apply.
- This is a free, six-month program that will run from February through July 2019.
- Participants must be able to participate in all program components in order to apply for the program.
- Participants will begin the program at our kick-off event on Saturday, Feb. 2 at GCSOM, where they will select workshops of interest and participate in engaging activities related to STEM majors and careers.
- During the months following the kick-off, participants will receive virtual mentoring from GCSOM students. Online mentoring groups will discuss career information and planning, along with additional program assignments.
- Participants will take part in a book club. Each girl will receive two books about famous women in science. They will be responsible to read the book and answer detailed questions on a timely basis with their mentors.
- Participants will select a famous woman in science and prepare a poster presentation for an ending ceremony in July. More details will follow.
Deadline for registration is Thursday, Jan. 31.
Following submission, staff will select participants and send them a form with workshops for the Saturday, Feb. 2 kick-off event. Selected participants will review the workshops and pick those they wish to attend. Staff will prepare individual schedules for participants and provide them at registration on Feb. 2.
Email Maureen Murtha at email@example.com for more information.
When: Girls in Science kicks off on Saturday, Feb. 2, 2019, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Where: Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine, 525 Pine Street, Scranton
Directions and parking: Click here for directions and parking information to our North Campus Medical Sciences Building in Scranton. Please park in lot B on Gibson St.