Becoming a community faculty member
Thank you for your interest in becoming a clinical faculty member at Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. Community physicians, just like you, are enhancing the quality of our curriculum and creating a true community-based learning environment for our students. Our partnerships are creating an academic environment and experience not found at other medical schools.
If you are interested in obtaining a faculty appointment you must submit the following via email to Gloria Colosimo at email@example.com or a hard copy to: Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine, Medical Sciences Building, 525 Pine St., Scranton, PA 18509.
- Current curriculum vitae
- Proof of malpractice insurance
- Copy of their current license to practice in Pennsylvania
Once the office of faculty affairs receive your materials, they will see that the materials are reviewed by the appropriate clinical chair and a recommendation for appointment level is determined using the following guidelines and then approved by the vice president for academic and clinical affairs and vice dean.
- Clinical instructor, community-based: Shall be appropriately degreed and/or licensed and have developed the skills required for their clinical field. The candidate shall demonstrate a high level of ability in clinical practice and teaching in their field of expertise.
- Clinical senior instructor, community-based: Shall be appropriately degreed and/or licensed and have developed the skills required for their clinical field. The candidate shall demonstrate a high level of ability in clinical practice as well as have evidence of superior teaching performance in their field of expertise.
- Clinical assistant professor, community-based: Shall hold a terminal professional degree, either MD, DO or PhD, and has completed all appropriate postdoctoral training and in addition, shall be certified by the appropriate specialty and/or subspecialty board. The candidate shall demonstrate a high level of ability in clinical practice and teaching in the departmental field, and the potential for clinical and teaching excellence in a subdivision of that field.
- Clinical associate professor, community-based: Shall meet the requirements for clinical assistant professor and in addition have extensive experience in clinical or professional practice in the field of specialization. The candidate shall demonstrate consistently outstanding teaching of medical students and/or residents.
- Clinical professor, community-based: Shall demonstrate a consistently outstanding excellent record in instruction of the students of this or other colleges. In addition to meeting all the qualifications required of a community-based clinical associate professor, an appointee is recognized as a leader in the professional field, as demonstrated both through professional activities and by documentation from peers. An appointee demonstrates recognized scholarly activity appropriate to the appointee’s clinical activities.
Once your appointment is active, you will receive your username and password to access the Geisinger Commonwealth portal. Then the partnership possibilities with Geisinger Commonwealth students, faculty and staff are endless.