After his medical education at the University of Ghana Medical School, Nelson Asante, MD, MS, went to the University of Alabama at Birmingham, Ala., where he obtained his master’s degree in pharmacology.
He did both his residency training in psychiatry and fellowship in neuropsychiatry at Yale University Affiliated Hospitals.
He is currently an attending psychiatrist at the Geisinger Community Medical Center in Scranton, Pa., and a staff psychiatrist at Scranton Counseling Center. Dr. Asante is the regional clerkship director of psychiatry for Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine's North Campus. He is also a clinical faculty member at The Wright Center’s Psychiatry Residency Program.
Dr. Asante is board certified in both adult psychiatry and addiction medicine.
His clinical interests include: managing treatment-resistant schizophrenics, and re-integration of this population into the community using the assertive community treatment team model; evaluation and treatment of adult attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
- Vallet B., Winn MJ, Asante NK, Cain SM, Influence of Oxygen on endothelium-derived relaxing factor/nitric oxide and potassium-dependent channel blockers and vascular tone regulation. Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology. 1994; 24 (4): 595 – 602
- Winn MJ, Vallet B., Asante NK, Curtis SE, Cain SM. Effects of NG-substituted arginines on coronary vascular function after endotoxin. Journal of Applied Physiology. 1993: 75 424 – 431
- Winn MJ, Asante NK, Ku DD, Vasomotor responses of canine coronary arterial rings to NG-substituted arginines. Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics. 1993: 264 (1): 265 – 270
- 2006 Pfizer A1281139 “A six week, Double-Blind, Multicenter, Placebo-Controlled Study Evaluating the Efficacy and Safety of Flexible Doses of Ziprasidone in Outpatients With a Diagnosis of Bipolar 1 Depression.”
- 2006 Eli Lily FID-MC-HGLB: “A randomized Double-Blind Study of Olanzapine Versus Aripriprazole in the Treatment of Schizophrenia.”
EducationMD – University of Ghana Medical School
MS in Pharmacology – University of Alabama at Birmingham
Residency in Psychiatry – Yale University Affiliated Hospitals
Fellowship in Neuropsychiatry – Yale University Affiliated Hospitals