Professor of Family Medicine
Educational and research interests
Rural health, community health, medical education, workforce development, patient-centered medical home, palliative care, end-of-life care, social justice in healthcare, reflection in medicine, reflection and transformative learning and qualitative research
Chronic care, shared decision making, palliative care, frailty and hospice care
- Joyce J, Handakas M, Mead B, Guilbe R; Flipping cultural competency: Encouraging medical culture to discuss what it means to be “white”, Presentation STFM Medical Education Meeting Anaheim, CA Feb 2 2017
- Anthony D, Leon SL, White J, Cornicchione M, Joyce J, GaleWyrick S, Brode E; Four Schools? Experiences with Teaching the National Clerkship Curriculum in a Longitudinal Integrated Clerkship, Presentation STFM Medical Education Meeting Anaheim, CA Feb 2 2017
- Ramirez IC, Walters OC, Hyatt AJ, Mitchell MS, Slaby AM, Stricker JS, McCracken M, Joyce, J, Improving Access to Mental Health Care for the Homeless Population of Northeast Pennsylvania. (Poster) PA Public Health Association Meeting; Lancaster, PA April 7, 2016
- Ramirez IC, Walters OC, Hyatt AJ, Mitchell MS, Slaby AM, Stricker JS, McCracken M, Joyce, J, Coordinating access to mental health care for Scranton’s homeless population. (Poster) American Psychiatric Foundation’s IPS: Mental Health Services Conference, NY, NY Oct 2015
- Minor S, Watson K, Egan M, Sierpina V, Joyce J, Wetona S, Nofziger A, Lindholm M, Maier R; Home Visit Requirements at 9 Schools. (Workshop) STFM Med Ed Meeting, Atlanta, GA Feb 2015
- Godwin M, Triano ML, Joyce J, Cornacchione M. Reflection in Doctoring Course Portfolio; Using Interprofessional Team as Faculty. Poster. STFM Med Ed Meeting, Nashville, TN Jan 2014
- Triano ML, Cornacchione M, Joyce J, Godwin M. IPE: Internalizing Powerful Experiences. Poster. STFM Med Ed Meeting, Nashville, TN Jan 2014
- Hustedde C, PhD; Thomas FA, BS; Joyce J, MD; Elder W, PhD; Student Preferences During M1 and M2 to Support Their Intentions for Rural Clinical Training. STFM Med Educ Meeting, Houston, TX January 2011
- Archer, C., Elder, W., Hustedde, C., Milam, A., Joyce, J., Integration of the Theory of Planned Behavior in Medical Education: A New Way to View Professionalism Education, Med Ed., 2008 Aug; 42(8): 771-7
- Elder, WG, Hustedde, C, Rakel, D, Joyce, J, CAM Curriculum Activities to enhance Professionalism Training in Medical Schools. Comp. Health Practice Review 2008 April 13 (2) 127-133.
- Wackerbarth SB, Tarasenko Y, Joyce JM, Haist, SA; Physician colorectal cancer screening recommendations: an examination based on informed consent. Patient Education and Counseling. 2007 Apr 66 (1): 43- 50.
Adams WB, Joyce JM; One Extra Chocolate Blizzard. KAFP Journal September 2006
- Joyce JM, Love M, Fordham M. Family Genogram: An Important Teaching Tool for Third-year Medical Students. Medical Education. May 2006
- Joyce J, Kuperstein K. Physical Therapy Referrals, AFP 2005 72 (7):
- Brandt, T, Joyce, J, Hospice is Hard Work. J of Hospice and Palliative Care, 2004 21(4): 314-316.
- Patrick, C; Joyce, J, A Stroke and its Consequences, Family Medicine, 2004; 36(5): 319-320
Bachelor of Science in Chemistry – Miami University of Ohio, Oxford, OH
Graduate Studies in Theology – Catholic Theological Union, Chicago, IL
Medical Doctorate – Indiana University, Indianapolis, IN
Family Medicine Residency – Cook County Hospital, Chicago, IL