Wasique Mirza, MD, FACP, was born in Pakistan, where he completed his medical education. He immigrated to the United States for post graduate training and was trained at Mount Vernon Hospital, N.Y., for residency training and at Mount Sinai School of Medicine for a hypertension fellowship. Since 1999, he has been working as an internist and as medical director since 2005 at Scranton Primary Healthcare Center, which is the only federally qualified health center in Lackawanna County. He has been involved in the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine from its inception in the role of clinical faculty and regional clerkship director for medicine for the North Campus.
He currently holds the title of associate professor of medicine and is the program director for the Geisinger Northeast Internal Medicine Residency Program at Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center. He has also served as a clinical faculty member at The Wright Center’s internal medicine residency, serving both as an inpatient hospitalist, as well as outpatient faculty as a part of the Teaching Health Center Program. He served as acting program director for the training program from 2015 until 2017.
His extracurricular interests include writing, including op-eds in the local newspaper about current affairs, especially in the healthcare field. He is also interested in fiction and non-fiction writing, with a novel and a historic review of a physician organization to his credit.
- Mirza W, Saleem M, Patel G, et al. (November 26, 2018) Early Screening Strategies for Diabetes Mellitus by Leveraging Dental Visits Using Optimal Screening Tools Available Onsite. Cureus 10(11): e3641. doi:10.7759/cureus.3641 (PMID 30723641)
- Mirza W, Mirza A M, Saleem M, et al. (December 28, 2018) Well-being Assessment of Medical Professionals in Progressive Levels of Training: Derived from the WHO-5 Well-being Index. Cureus 10(12): e3790. doi:10.7759/cureus.3790 (PMID Pending)
- Chaudhury A, Duvoor C, Reddy Dendi VS, Kraleti S, Chada A, Ravilla R, Marco A, Shekhawat NS, Montales MT, Kuriakose K, Sasapu A, Beebe A, Patil N, Musham CK, Lohani GP and Mirza W (2017) Clinical Review of Antidiabetic Drugs: Implications for Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Management. Front. Endocrinol. 8:6. doi: 10.3389/fendo.2017.00006 PMID: 28167928
- Synchronous Adenocarcinoma and Neuroendocrine Tumors of the Stomach Mitchell MS et al. American Journal of Cancer Case Reports 2016, 4:*-*
- Chaudhury A, Dendi VSR and Mirza W (2016) Colligative Property of ATP: Implications for Enteric Purinergic Neuromuscular Neurotransmission. Front. Physiol. 7:500. doi: 10.3389/fphys.2016.00500 PMID: 27840610
- Duvoor C, Dendi VS, Marco A, Shekhawat NS, Chada A, Ravilla R, Musham CK, Mirza W and Chaudhury A (2017) Commentary: ATP: The crucial component of secretory vesicles: Accelerated ATP/insulin exocytosis and prediabetes. Front. Physiol. 8:53. doi: 10.3389/fphys.2017.00053 PMID: 27342860
- Cooks Syndrome: Inter-professional Collaboration Case Study for a Varian of Cooks Syndrome; LECOM Research Day, October 22, 2015.
- Polypropylene Glycol Toxicity from Consuming Flavored Water; Society of Hospital medicine conference, March 28, 2014.
- Acinar Cell Carcinoma in a Young Nepali patient: ACP Case Report, November 12, 2013 (TCMC)
MBBS – Allama Iqbal Medical College, Lahore, Pakistan
Residency – Mount Vernon Hospital
Hypertension Fellowship – Mount Sinai School of Medicine