Medical humanities, global health and development, basic epidemiology and biostatistics, integration of mental and oral health into primary care and mentoring of students (including pre-health students)
Addiction and behavioral medicine and preventive medicine
- Best in Class Award – Visual Presentation- Family Medicine Education Consortium, 2015, for “Women in Family Medicine”, a medical humanities project featuring an exhibit and video, 2015.
- Second Prize winner – US State Department’s Citizen Diplomacy Challenge, 2015
- Top 25 Women in Business awardee – Northeast Pennsylvania Business Journal, 2015
- Herbert Nickens Faculty Fellowship, American Association of Medical Colleges, 2012
- Fulbright Specialist Scholarship, 2012-14
- Erasmus Mundus Scholarship, 2012-2013
- Gold Humanism Scholarship to attend Harvard Macy Institute Program for Educators, 2011-12
- Family Medicine Education Consortium Emerging Leader Award, October 2010
Visiting and adjunct positions
- External Examiner, M.Sc. program in Child and Adolescent Mental Health, University of Ibadan, Nigeria, 2017
- Visiting Scholar in Medical Humanities, Georgetown University School of Medicine, 2014
- Visiting Erasmus Mundus Scholar French School of Public Health, Rennes, France, 2012
- Visiting Erasmus Mundus Scholar, School of Health and Related Research, University of Sheffield, UK, 2013
- Visiting Fulbright Specialist Scholar, College of Medicine, University of Lagos, Nigeria 2012-14
- White, MV, Simoyan, OM, Cardelle AJF, Godin, SE, Kuchinski,EC, Townsend EL, Townsend JM Collaborative efforts towards an interdisciplinary and interprofessional dual degree program for public health training in a new rural medical school. Int Public Health J 2015; 7(1).
- Tsui EW, Wang G, Zahler A, Simoyan OM, White MV, Mckee M. A multi-lingual population health management program. Journal of Ambulatory Care Management 2013 Apr-Jun; 36(2):140-6.
- Oshodi Y.O., Simoyan O.M., Lesi F.E.A, Ibeziako P.I. Health Care Professionals Need for Child and Adolescent Mental Health (CAMH) Training in Southwestern Nigeria. Adolescent Psychiatry, Vol 3, No 1, 2013.
- Oyelohunnu M, Campbell A, Ogbolu E, Ibeziako P, Oshodi Y and Simoyan O. (eds) An overview of emotional and behavioral disorders in children and adolescents. May 2013 (Educational booklet).
- Simoyan OM, Townsend JM. Improving the health of Northeastern Pennsylvania through medical education and community engagement. Public Voices, Vol XII, No ,2 2012.
- Simoyan OM, Townsend J, Tarafder M, De Joseph D, Stark R, White M. Public health and medical education – a natural alliance for a new regional medical school. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. Volume 41, Issue 4, Supplement 3 , Pages S220-S227, October 2011.
- Omigbodun O, Bella T, Dogra N, Simoyan O. Training health professionals for child and adolescent mental health care in Nigeria: A qualitative analysis. Child and Adolescent Mental Health. Vol. 12, No 3, Sept 2007, pp132-137.
- Simoyan OM, Badner VM, Freeman KD. Tobacco Cessation Services in Dental Offices. Are we doing all we can? New York State Dental Journal, August/September 2002, Vol. 68, No. 7; 34-40.
- Simoyan OM, Badner VM. Implementing a School-Based Dental Health Program. The Montefiore Model. Journal of School Health, August 2002, Vol. 72, No. 6; 262-63.
- Simoyan OM. Public Health in Nigeria: A Dentist’s Perspective. Archives of Ibadan Medicine, Vol. 1 No. 2: Supplement 1, April, 2000.
General interest publications
- Simoyan, Olapeju. Scranton, A Place to Call Home: The Electric City at 150. A photobook highlighting Scranton’s history and landmarks, in commemoration of Scranton’s sesquicentennial anniversary, April 2016.
- Simoyan, Olapeju. The Amazing World of Butterflies. A photobook highlighting various species of butterflies and their distinguishing characteristics, August 2017.
- Founding Editor in Chief, Black Diamonds, an arts and literary journal for the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine community.
- Editor, Oibo Egbe, Reflections on the Legacy of Thomas Titcombe in Nigeria, by Olayinka Simoyan. Step Out Creative Publications, 2017. (A historical book reflecting on early missionary work in Nigeria).
- Prescription Drug Abuse and the Road to Heroin Addiction. (Panelist). Prevention Education Consortium of Northeastern Pennsylvania, Lackawanna College, Scranton, PA, November 2016.
- Physician, health thyself: The role of the arts in self care presented at the Conference on Child and Adolescent Mental Health, Center for Child and Adolescent Mental Health, University of Ibadan, Nigeria, June 14 – 16, 2016.
- Learning disabilities and learning enablers, presented at the Conference on Child and Adolescent Mental Health, Center for Child and Adolescent Mental Health, University of Ibadan, Nigeria, June 14 – 16, 2016.
- Leadership and creativity for medical students and high school students, presented at the Conference on Child and Adolescent Mental Health, Center for Child and Adolescent Mental Health, University of Ibadan, Nigeria, June 14 – 16, 2016.
- Simoyan OM, et al. Bridging the gap between public health and medical education through public – private partnerships: The TCMC-ESU MD/MPH Program. Poster presented at the Association for Prevention Teaching and Research (APTR) conference, Charleston SC, March 2015.
- Physician, health thyself: Achieving self care through the arts. Presented at the Lagos University Medical Society meeting, December 3, 2014.
- Substance abuse, eating disorders and other psychiatric conditions affecting adolescents. Presented to medical students at the College of Medicine, University of Lagos, December, 2014.
- Bridging the Gap between the Science and Art of Healthcare: Is there a role for the humanities in health professional education? Presented to dental faculty, staff and students at the College of Medicine, University of Lagos, December, 2014.
- Simoyan O. Oshodi Y. A multi-professional approach to addressing child mental health needs in Nigeria: experiences of a Fulbright specialist. Oral presentation at the International Association of Child and Adolescent Psychiatrists and Allied Professionals Congress in Durban, South Africa, August 2014.
- White, MV, Simoyan OM, Cardelle, AJF, Godin S, Kuchinski EC, Townsend EL, Townsend JM. Establishing and enhancing an interdisciplinary and interprofessional dual degree program and collaborative primary care training in a new rural medical school. Presented at the Northeast Group on Educational Affairs (NEGEA) annual conference, Yale, CT, April 2014.
- Securing the future by giving back: My Fulbright specialist experience. Presented at Ibadan College of Medicine Alumni Association/ANPA meeting, Charlotte, NC, June 2013.
- Simoyan O., Patel AC. An innovative approach to educating medical students in psychiatry. Presented at the Association of Directors of Medical Education in Psychiatry annual meeting, Williamsburg, VA, June 2013.
- Mental to dental: a comprehensive approach to medical education at a new medical school. Presented to faculty, staff and students at the School of Dental Sciences, College of Medicine, University of Lagos, May 2013.
- Learning disabilities and learning enablers. Presented at Child Mental Health Workshop organized by MINDTRUST in collaboration with the College of Medicine University of Lagos, May 2013.
- Music and language as learning enhancers. Presented at Child Mental Health Workshop organized by MINDTRUST in collaboration with the College of Medicine University of Lagos, May 2013.
- Integrating oral health into the curriculum at a new medical school. Presented at the Dental Trade Alliance Foundation forum in Washington, DC, April 2013.
- Sherlaw, W, Czabanowska K, Simoyan O, et al. English for Public Health Teaching: an innovative approach to improving English and public health teaching competencies within the context of internationalization. Presented at the Integrating Content and Language in Higher Education (ICLHE) conference in Maastricht, Netherlands, April 2013.
- My non-traditional path to academic medicine and public health. Presented at the Public Health Section of the School of Health and Related Research, University of Sheffield, UK, February 2013.
- Amish in America: plain and simple living. Presented at the Public Health Section of the School of Health and Related Research, University of Sheffield, UK, March 2013.
- Simoyan O., Wasp J. Opiate addiction and treatment. Presented at Regional Hospital Grand Rounds, January 2013.
MD (Doctor of Medicine) – Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA
MPH (Master of Public Health) – Johns Hopkins University School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD
BDS (Doctor of Dental Surgery equivalent) – University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
Family medicine residency – Penn State University/Good Samaritan Hospital, Lebanon, PA
Internship in Psychiatry/Family Medicine – Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic/University of Pittsburgh Medical Center