Palliative care, frailty, multi-morbidity and prognostication at end of life
Evidence-based medicine, integration of palliative care into medical education, communication as a learned skill, physical exam skills as a vital competency for medical students and interprofessional education
Clinical interestsPalliative care, frailty, multi-morbidity and hospice care
- Cornacchione, M, Withers, D, Lyons, C, White, M, Triano, M, Joyce, J, and Godwin, M (2015). Addiction: An Intervention to Influence Medical Students’ Attitudes and Response to Substance Abuse within Peers and Professionals. Teaching and Learning in Medicine, 27 (2). Full text
- Szarek, J.L., Manetti, W, Zielinski, D, Heckman, C, Shea, D., Arscott, K, Pelligrino, A., Triano, M., & Spelman, D. (2013). Trials and Tribulations in the Development of a Simulation-Based Interprofessional Education Activity. Medical Science Educator, 23(25):542-553.
- Vanston, V. J., Triano, M. L., Getts, R., Prior, J, & Smego,R.A. (2010). Predictors of Poor Neurologic Outcome in Patients Undergoing Therapeutic Hypothermia after Cardiac Arrest. Southern Medical Journal, 103(4):301-306.
- Prior, J., Triano, M. L., Fedor, D., Vanston, V. J., Getts, R. & Smego, R. A. (2010). Community-Based Application of Mild Therapeutic Hypothermia for Survivors of Cardiac Arrest. Southern Medical Journal, 103(4):295-300.
- Guana, A. A., Kang, S. K., Triano. M. L., Swatko, E. R. & Vanston, V. J. (2008). Oral Transmucosal Fentanyl Citrate for Dyspnea in Terminally Ill Patients: An Observational Case Series. Journal of Palliative Medicine, 11(4):643-648.
- Szarek JL, de Jong PGM, Triano M. Interprofessional Education 101. A 90-minute focus session on introducing faculty to interprofessional education. IAMSE 2014
- DNR and Goals of Care. Drexel Family Medicine Residents. December 7, 2012.
- Cornacchione, M., Joyce, J., Triano, M. L., Godwin, M. Addiction: An Intervention to Influence Medical Students’ Attitudes And Response to Substance Abuse Within Professionals. Society for Teachers of Family Medicine, 1/2014. Peer Papers – Works in Progress.
- Godwin, M., Joyce, J., Triano, M.L., Cornacchione, M. MD Year 2 Integration: Training Clinicians, Not Researchers. Society for Teachers of Family Medicine, 1/2014. Peer Papers – Works in Progress.
- Assessing the Need for a Palliative Care Service at Wilkes Barre General Hospital: Initial Patient Screening and Survey Results. Lunsford EP; Jarmuz P; Moore C; Kies J; Novick M; Angeli M; Triano M; Coslett DS; Boonin A; Shoemaker M. 2016-2017 Quality Improvement Community Collaborative (QuICC) Project.
- INCREMENTAL EXERCISE TO DEVELOP CRITICAL REASONING SKILLS IN NOVICE MEDICAL STUDENTS, Cathy Buddenhagen Wilcox, Mary Lawhon Triano, and Kalman Winston, The Commonwealth Medical College and University of Liverpool Online. (IAMSE 2017).
- “Seeing to Learn”: Teaching Direct Observation of Clinical Skills Educationally Indicated, Therapeutically required for Third Year Medical Students at the Bedside. Shubhra M. Shetty, MD, FACP, Regional Associate Dean, TCMC, William F. Iobst, MD, FACP, Vice President for Academic & Clinical Affairs & Vice Dean; Carien M. Williams, JD, Associate Dean for Curriculum; Mary Triano, CRNP, Director of Clinical Skills; Elizabeth McGill, PhD, Regional Education Specialist; Nora Alu, Regional Manager; Gina Osif, MA, Clinical Education Coordinator (2016)
- Triano, M. L., Cornacchione, M., Joyce, J., Godwin, M. IPE: Interprofessional Education, Internalizing Powerful Experiences. Society for Teachers of Family Medicine, 1/2014, Poster Presentation.
- Godwin, M., Triano, M.L., Joyce, J., Cornacchione, M. Reflection In Doctoring Course Portfolios Using Interprofessional Team As Faculty Mentors. Society for Teachers of Family Medicine. 1/2014. Poster Presentation.
- Szarek JL, Manetti W, Shea DM, Arscott K, Pellegrino A, Spelman D, Zielinski D, Triano M. Implementing Simulation-Based Interprofessional Education: Students’ Evaluation of the Pilot Indicate a Very Successful Program. International Meeting for Simulation in Healthcare, 1/2014. Poster Presentation
- Szarek JL, Manetti W, Shea DM, Arscott K, Pellegrino A, Spelman D (presented poster), Zielinski D, Triano M. A Pilot Simulation-Based Interprofessional Education Activity For Health Professions Students From Marywood University, The Commonwealth Medical College and The University of Scranton. The Institute for Public Policy & Economic Development. 4/2014. Poster Presentation.
- Palliative Care: What’s that? Grand Rounds, The Commonwealth Medical College, March 2016.
- Palliative Care and Hospice Care. Marywood University, Physician Assistant Program. October 12, 2012.
- End of Life Care in Northeast PA. Symposium on Elder Care. University of Scranton and The Commonwealth Medical College. April 12, 2012.
- Care Near the End of Life; Can We Build A Better Design. Marywood University, Physician Assistant Program. February 22, 2012.
- Care Near the End of Life; Can We Design a Better System. The Commonwealth Medical College. January 23, 2012.
- Palliative Care for Nurse Practitioners. The Annual Primary Care Conference of the Nurse Practitioners of Northeast PA. March 24, 2011.
- Delirium In the Terminally Ill. VNA Education Day, VNA of Lackawanna County. March 16, 2010.
- Pain Management for the Wound Care Nurse. Regional Ostomy Conference, Scranton PA. November 2008.
- Women’s Health Initiative for the HIV Clinic, Scranton Temple Residency Program. Health Science Research Conference. Marywood University. March 12, 2008.
Bachelor of Science Nursing – University of Scranton, Scranton, PA
Master’s of Nursing, Family Nurse Practitioner – University of Scranton, Scranton, PA
Harvard Medical School’s Program in Palliative Care Education and Practice, Cambridge, MA