Mark White, MD, MPH, received his MD from Georgetown University School of Medicine in Washington, D.C., and his MPH in epidemiology from the University of Pittsburgh School of Public Health in Pittsburgh, PA. He is course director and instructor for the MD1 course Physician and Society (PAS), and is the faculty team lead for the community health research projects.
His main research interests encompass community and public health, public health in medical education, environmental epidemiology, reproductive health and environmental justice. His work has been published in several peer-reviewed journals, as well as many presentations and poster presentations. Externally, he holds adjunct faculty appointments with Penn State Hershey School of Medicine and Walden University School of Health Sciences, serves as a member of the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PADEP) Environmental Justice Advisory Board (EJAB).
Nationally and regionally, he is a member of the Lackawanna County (LCMS) and Pennsylvania Medical Societies (PAMS), as well as several other professional organizations, such as the American Public Health Association (APHA), the Society for Teachers of Family Medicine (STFM) and the Pennsylvania Academy of Family Practice (PAFP). Locally, he is a member of the Wright Center for Graduate Medical Education (WCGME) Institutional Review Board (IRB). He currently serves as the principal investigator for a federal HRSA grant and its $1.5 million, five-year funded efforts related to the dual MD/Public Health degree program with East Stroudsburg University (ESU).
Dr. White has served as a non-voting member of Geisinger Commonwealth’s Board of Trustees, chair of the faculty council, past chair of the admissions committee, co-chair of the strategic planning leadership workgroup and has served in leadership and non-leadership roles in many other Geisinger Commonwealth committees and workgroups.
- Holt, JT, Ghormoz, J, Sung, YJ, White, MV, Szarek, JL. Medical Student Benefit from Learning Objectives Correlates to Specific Myers-Briggs Types. Medical Science Educator April 25, 2015. Full text
- Simoyan O; Townsend J; Tarafader M; DeJoseph D; Stark R; White M. Public Health and Medical Education: A Natural Alliance for a New Regional Medical School. American Journal of Preventive Medicine (in press, Sep 2011).
- Logue J.N., White M., Marchetto D. October 2007. Pennsylvania’s Asthma School Project and Descriptive Pilot Investigation: A Focus on Environmental Health Tracking. Journal of Environmental Health 70(5): 21-27. Full text
- O’Meara E.S., White M., Siscovick D., Lyles M., Kuller L. July 2005. Hospitalization for Pneumonia in the Cardiovascular Health Study: Incidence, Mortality, and Influence on Longer-Term Survival. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 53(7): 1108-1116. Full text
- White, M. V. (2008, September). Foster-Wheeler TCE Site: Health Consultation and Findings. Presented at EPA Public Meeting for Residents and Stakeholders, Mountain Top, PA, September 25.
- White, M. V. (2008, September). Children’s Health and the Environment: Health Assessment Process. Presented at MACCHE Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, September 19.
- White, M. V. (2008, September). Asthma School Project: Summary and Findings. Presented at PADOH Quarterly Epidemiology Meeting, Harrisburg, PA, September 11.
- White, M. V. (2008, August). BoRit Ambler Asbestos Site: Health Assessment and Findings. Presented at EPA Public Meeting for Residents and Stakeholders, Ambler, PA, August 20.
- White, M. V. (2008, May). Pennsylvania Cooperative Agreement Update. Presented at the ATSDR Principal Investigators’ Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA, May 21.
- White, M. V. (2008, May). Bernhardt Park Site: Health Assessment Petition Process and Protocols. Presented at PADOH Public Meeting for City of Reading Mayor and Stakeholders, Reading, PA, May 16.
- White, M. V. (2008, April). Keyser Avenue Air Monitoring Station Site: Health Assessment and Findings. Presented at PADOH Public Meeting for Residents and Stakeholders, Taylor, PA, April 3.
- White, M. V. (2008, February). Public Health Issues, Environmental Hazards, and NPL Sites. Presented at the Susquehanna CASA Quarterly Meeting, Linglestown, PA, Feb 7.
- White, M. V. (2007, October). NPL Site Assessment and Evaluation. Presented at Quarterly Pennsylvania Act 315 Environmental Health Directors’ Meeting, Harrisburg, PA, October 24.
- White, M. V. (2007, October). Pennsylvania Asthma School Project and Descriptive Pilot Project. Presented at Annual Northeastern Region State Epidemiology Conference, Harrisburg, PA, October 18.
- White, M. V. (2007, June). American Street Tannery Site: Health Assessment and Findings. Presented at EPA Public Meeting for Residents and Stakeholders, Philadelphia, PA, June 28.
- White, M. V. (2007, March). Slocum Lead Site: Health Assessment and Findings. Presented at PADEP Public Meeting for Residents and Stakeholders, Wapwallopen, PA, March 21.
- White, M. V. (2006, December). Environmental Triggers and Asthma: Improving Indoor Air Quality. Presented at Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PADEP) Quarterly Air Quality Branch Meeting, Harrisburg, PA, December 14.
- White, M. V. (2005, April). Asthma Prevalence and Mortality in Pennsylvania. Presented at Drexel University School of Public Health Grand Rounds, Philadelphia, PA, April 8.