Christian Carbe, PhD
Assistant Professor of Medical and Molecular Genetics and Microbiology
Participating in interdisciplinary integrated biomedical courses in the Department of Medical Education in the areas of human genetics and microbiology as well as facilitating MD1 small groups for case-based learning
Dr. Carbe also serves as an academic advisor for students in the MBS graduate program.
Murine developmental genetics involving signal transduction pathways during mammalian eye development, cell mediated-immunity and immunological tolerance checkpoint mechanisms regulated by follicular helper T cell:B cell interactions at the murine germinal center, the functional roles that steroid hormone receptors play in human endocrine-related cancers
- Carbe C, Cheng L, Addya S, Gold JI, Gao E, Koch WJ, Riobo NA. 2014. Gi proteins mediate activation of the canonical hedgehog pathway in the myocardium. American Journal of Physiology, Heart and Circulatory Physiology. 307(1):H66-72.
- Carbe C, Garg A, Cai Z, Li H, Powers A, Zhang X. 2013. An Allelic Series at the Pax6 Locus Reveals the Functional Specificity of Pax Genes. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 288:12130-12141.
- Carbe C, Hertzler-Schaefer K, Zhang X. 2012. The functional role of the Meis/Prep-binding elements in Pax6 locus during pancreas and eye development. Developmental Biology. 363(1):320-9.
- Carbe C and Zhang X. 2011. Lens induction requires attenuation of ERK signaling by Nf1. Human Molecular Genetics. 20(7):1315–1323.
- ★Qu X, Carbe C (co-first author), Tao C, Powers A, Lawrence R, van Kuppevelt TH, Cardoso WV, Grobe K, Esko JD, Zhang X. 2011. Lacrimal gland development and Fgf10-Fgfr2b signaling is controlled by 2-O and 6-O sulfated heparan sulfate. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 286(16):14435-14444. ★Rated at the top 2% of published articles in biology and medicine by the Faculty of 1000 (F1000).
- Pan Y, Carbe C, (co-first author), Powers A, Feng GS, Zhang X. Sprouty2 modulated Kras signaling rescues Shp2 deficiency during lens and lacrimal gland development. Development (2010) 137:1085-1093.
- Pan Y, Carbe C, Powers A, Zhang EE, Esko JD, Grobe K, Feng G-S, Zhang X. Bud specific N-sulfation of heparan sulfate regulates Shp2-dependent FGF signaling during lacrimal gland induction. Development (2008) 135(2):301-10.
- Pan Y, Carbe C, Kupich S, Pickhinkle U, Ohlig S, Frye M, Seelige R, Palleria SR, Moon AM, Lawrence R, Esko JD, Zhang X, Grobe K. Heparan sulfate expression in the neural crest is essential for mouse cardiogenesis. Matrix Biol. (2014) Apr;35:253-65.
- Qu X, Pan Y, Carbe C, Powers A, Grobe K, Zhang X. Glycosaminoglycan-dependent restriction of FGF diffusion is necessary for lacrimal gland development. Development (2012) Jun 28 [Epub ahead of print].
PhD in Medical and Molecular Genetics and Minor in Biochemistry, 2011 – Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN
Postdoctoral Research Fellow – Thomas Jefferson University, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Philadelphia, PA: Biochemical and cell-based investigation into the functional roles that Hedgehog (Hh) (GPCR) signal transduction pathways play in key mammalian cellular processes including proliferation, apoptosis and cell migration
Postdoctoral Research Fellow – Thomas Jefferson University, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Philadelphia, PA): Immunological investigation of the roles Follicular helper CD4 T cells (TFH) play during B cell autoimmunity
Postdoctoral Researcher with Dr. Raj Kumar – Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine, Scranton, PA. (April, 2015 – September, 2016): Investigated the role of novel steroid hormone receptor-based therapeutics for endocrine-related triple negative breast cancers (TNBCs)