The PGY1 Pharmacy Residency programs build on doctor of pharmacy (PharmD) education and outcomes to contribute to the development of clinical pharmacists responsible for medication-related care of patients with a wide range of conditions, eligible for board certification, and eligible for postgraduate year-two (PGY2) pharmacy residency training.
- To provide residents with the training and experience to develop professional expertise and competence as a health system pharmacy practitioner
- To cultivate competent and innovative practitioners who provide comprehensive pharmaceutical care services across the continuum of health care
- To train practitioners who can research, analyze and effectively communicate drug information
The residency's role
As evidenced by our mission and vision statements, education plays a central role in the system. The PGY 1 Pharmacy Residency strives to uphold these ideals, and further advance patient care in the region.
The PGY 1 Pharmacy Residency at Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center believes strongly in the development of the complete pharmacist. As such, the resident is treated in a collegial manner, with careful focus on developing the broadest possible clinical range of skills, as well as personal and professional growth.
Our goal is to provide a resident with the practical training and experience that provides the opportunity and stimulus to develop professional expertise and competence as a health system pharmacy practitioner. All of the pharmacists at Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center are committed to delivering the highest possible quality of patient care.
Residency program activities
- Learning experiences designed to develop skills and competence in providing evidenced-based, patient-centered medication therapy management with interdisciplinary teams
- Structure and areas of emphasis based on the resident's entering level of knowledge, skills and career aspirations
- Elective learning experiences that allow the resident to further pursue interests related to individual career goals
- Residents are encouraged to become involved in all pharmacy activities including providing direct patient care, completion of pharmacy consults, participation in management of medical emergencies, various projects and participation on committees.
- Teaching, research and other scholarly endeavors enhance the professional development of each resident
- Some activities are completed during one-month learning experience periods, while others are completed throughout the year
- Department members with full-time practice and teaching responsibilities serve as preceptors for the learning experiences