Ready to apply?
We accept applications for our program through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). Our cardiology fellowship program participates in the National Resident Matching Program. We accept five fellows each year.
- ACGME program ID: 1414111173
- NRMP program code: 1608141F0
Graduation from an approved United States or Canadian medical school or ECFMG certification for graduates of other medical schools outside the U.S. Graduates of foreign medical schools should be certain that their visa status will permit completion of training and that they qualify for Pennsylvania state licensure before applying to the program.
- Completion of an approved three-year residency in internal medicine at an accredited three-year program.
- Superior performance demonstrated during residency.
- License or eligibility for permanent and unrestricted license in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- For those applicants who are not U.S. citizens, visa status should be documented.
Fellows are expected to become certified in internal medicine by the American Board of Internal Medicine at the earliest opportunity and certainly before completion of their fellowship.
Examination sequence acceptable to the board
All applicants must send a copy of scores from licensure exams from any of the listed sequence to ERAS. Any complete sequence is acceptable to the board. Additionally, international graduates applying must submit a copy of their ECFMG to ERAS.
- NBME Parts I, II and III
- FLEX Component 1 and 2
- USMLE Steps 1, 2 and 3 or COMLEX 1, 2 and 3
- NBME Part I or USMLE Step 1
- Plus NBME Part II or USMLE Step 2
- Plus NBME Part III or USMLE Step 3
- Flex Component 1
- Plus USMLE Step 3
- Or NBME Part I or USMLE Step 1
- Plus NBME Part II or USMLE Step 2
- Plus FLEX Component 2
- Curriculum vitae
- Personal statement
- Dean's letter or medical student performance evaluation
- Three letters of recommendation from your current program: if you have already completed your residency, we require one letter from your program director, one from another faculty member, and one from a current colleague.
- ECFMG (international graduates)
- A copy of your scores from licensure exams (FLEX or board scores) See examination sequence acceptable to the board (above).
- Original transcript of grades.
All the above information must be submitted before established ERAS application deadlines for an application to be considered complete. After the application is complete, the file will be reviewed by the cardiology fellowship director for a possible interview. Interviews are scheduled between September and early November. Submit all letters of reference and information through ERAS. Do not send any paperwork to our program. Paper documentation sent to the office will not be associated with file. Everything must come through ERAS.
If you’re applying with a partner, tell us if you’d like consideration for dual placement.
Geisinger policy requires all applicants for employment under final consideration to agree to submit to a drug screen. We have a protocol designed to protect your privacy. If you have questions, ask for a copy of this policy.
Geisinger Medical Center in Danville is a unique experience. Once you spend time here, you will quickly realize the facilities and staff leave a lasting impression. I can’t think of another hospital with all the resources and organization that leads to an efficient, educational and warm working atmosphere. I am finishing up my third year of fellowship, and I have seen a great deal of patients with varied pathology, thanks to the large catchment area. The amount of supervised procedures and education is more than you see at many major institutions. The teaching attendings are great, with various backgrounds, and have excellent clinical acumen. When living in and around Danville, you will grow to love the charm of the area and the people as much as I did. Without a doubt, this place has been a wonderful place to train and live.”