The programs listed below are not required to obtain a PA Training License or an unrestricted license:
- Clinical psychology
- Pediatric dentistry
- Medical physics
The programs listed below are only required to obtain an unrestricted license:
- Oral and maxillofacial surgery (OMFS)
All other programs are required to obtain a PA Training License (this includes fellowship programs that require you to obtain an unrestricted license).
Residents and fellows required to obtain a PA Training License should not register for a Pennsylvania Application Licensing System (PALS) account. We must initiate your application at the institutional level and we cannot do so if you create a PALS account. All training license applications will be initiated by April 15. You will receive an email from PALS when this process has been initiated. If your fellowship program requires you to obtain an unrestricted license, do not use the email address where you received your welcome email. If you have already created a PALS account using that email address, log into PALS and change the email address associated with that account.
Process for obtaining a PA Training License
- Once all Dynamic Forms have been submitted, the GME office will initiate your license application.
- Once the GME office has initiated the application and made the payment, an email will be sent to you from the PA State Board.
- Follow the instructions listed in your MedHub onboarding package to submit your training license application.
The GME office must initiate your license application. The State Board will not allow us to initiate a training license application using an email address already associated with a Pennsylvania Application Licensing System (PALS) account.
If your email address on record is associated with a PALS account and you have never held a PA training license, then you must complete one of the two options below:
- Change the email in your current PALS account to an alternative email address – one different than the email listed in MedHub.
- Have your program administrator change your listed email in MedHub.
- Fellows that are required to obtain an unrestricted license should use an alternative email address when creating their PALS account.
- The initiation of your training license will be delayed if the email address on record is already associated with a PALS account.
- Accredited new application checklist – accredited medical schools (US and Canada)
- Osteopathic new application checklist – osteopathic medical schools
- Unaccredited new application checklist – unaccredited medical schools (outside of US and Canada)
- Allopathic renewal application checklist
- Osteopathic renewal application checklist
- Dental new application checklist
- Podiatry new application checklist