Geisinger Musculoskeletal Institute Research Team
As a resident, you’ll be encouraged to take advantage of the tremendous research opportunities and research support offered through the devoted MSK research team. Assistance is available for developing ideas, obtaining IRB approval, pursuing funding, statistical analysis and submitting final papers to national meetings and peer-reviewed journals.
In addition to basic science and clinical research, the research team has been driving groundbreaking epidemiologic and outcomes-based research in the field of orthopaedic surgery. Research is further facilitated through the funding of three full-time research fellows in orthopaedic upper extremity research, orthopaedic trauma and adult reconstruction.
You’ll be encouraged to complete a junior project (case report or case series) and a senior project (cohort study or clinical trial). Generous financial support for resident travel to local and national presentations is provided from departmental funds and the office of Graduate Medical Education.
Additional research resources
- An EMR pairing with Epic dating back nearly 20 years, providing extensive clinical data
- A systemwide MyCode® genomics database with access to complete genomic sequencing of over 100,000 patients
- Trauma database dating back to 2004
- Standard collection of patient-reported outcome measures collected via OBERD platform in MSK clinics
- Cost and utilization data available through Geisinger’s integrated health system and health plan
- Chris Grandizio, DO, upper extremity research
- Daniel Horwitz, MD, trauma research
- Mark Seeley, MD, pediatric research
Additional MSKI research team
- Kenneth Sams, senior research coordinator
- Idorenyin F. Udoeyo, statistician
- Sarah Richards, research coordinator
- Emilee Barton, research coordinator
- Daniel Hayes, research assistant
- Erica Krebs, research assistant
Learn more about our research team.
- Sumner K, Grandizio LC, Gehrman MD, Graham J, Klena JC. Incidence and Reason for Readmission and Unscheduled Health Care Contact After Distal Radius Fracture. Hand (N Y). 2020;15(2):243-251. doi:10.1177/1558944718788687
- Gehrman M, Cornell M, Seeley M. Iatrogenic Hip Instability After Hip Arthroscopy: Is There a Role for Open Capsular Reconstruction?: A Case Report. JBJS Case Connect. 2019;9(2):e0091. doi:10.2106/JBJS.CC.18.00091
- Zhang H, Fanelli M, Adams C, Graham J, Seeley M. The emerging trend of non-operative treatment in paediatric type I open forearm fractures. Journal of Children’s Orthopaedics. 11:306-309 (2017).
- Grandizio LC, Zhang H, Dwyer CL, Goldberg SH, Klena JC. Opioid Versus Nonopioid Analgesia After Carpal Tunnel Release: A Randomized Prospective Study. HAND. March 29,2019. Published Online ahead of Print.
- Slotkin S, Thome A, Ricketts C, Georgiadis A, Cruz AI Jr, Seeley M. Anterior Knee Pain in Children and Adolescents: Overview and Management. J Knee Surg. 2018 May 31(5):392-398. doi: 10.1055/s-0038-1632376
- Gehrman MD, Graham J, Goldberg SH. Botulinum Toxin A & B cause vasodilation, prevent thrombosis, & increase flap survival: A systematic review and meta-analysis of Controlled Animal Studies.American Society for Surgery of the Hand, 2018. Boston, Massachussetts.
- Zhang H, Fanelli M, Adams C, Graham J, Seeley M. Non-Operative Treatment in Pediatric Type I Open Forearm Fractures. Eastern Orthopaedic Association Meeting. Miami Beach, Florida (2017).
- Fanelli MG, Cush C, Zhang H, Wagner B, Young A, Maddineni B, Grandizio LC, and Cush G “Geographic Distribution of Foot and Ankle Orthopaedic Surgeons Throughout the United States.” American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society Meeting. Sep 2020 San Antonio, TX.
- Illing DA, Rocha DFB, Ricketts CA, Wang A, Horwitz DS. Hematoma block vs bier block: radiographic outcomes after closed reduction of distal radius fractures using different anesthesia techniques. American Society for Surgery of the Hand. Sep 2019, Las Vegas.
- Foster B, Friedenberg S, Grandizio LC, Klena K. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Telephone Screening Questionnaire to Decrease Electrodiagnostic Study Utilization for Patients in an Integrated Healthcare System. American Society for Surgery of the Hand. Sep 2019, Las Vegas.
- Gehrman MD, Goldberg S, Graham J, Klena JC, Sharma J, Grandizio LC. The Ability of Upper-Extremity Surgeons to Assess Patient’s Functional Status.
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand, 2020. San Antonio, Texas.
- Gehrman MD, Pavis E, Klena JC, Grandizio LC. Gender Differences Between Hand Surgery Fellowship Faculty and Fellows: An Analysis of Post-Graduate Training Programs.
- Resident & Fellows Course at American Society for Surgery of the Hand, 2020. San Antonio Texas.
- Gehrman MD, Graham J, Klena JC, Grandizio LC. The Ability of Upper-Extremity Surgeons to Predict Patient’s Coping Skills.
- Eastern Orthopaedic Association Meeting, 2018. Amelia Island, Florida.
- Gehrman MD, Levin JM, Noonan KJ, Towles JD, Tueting JL. Optimal Method for Rerouting the Extensor Pollicis Longus Tendon to Improve Thumb Abduction: A Cadaveric Analysis.
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand, 2016. Austin, Texas.
- Fanelli MG, Sanchez D, Ehrlich B, Graham J, Seeley M. “Using Fracture Asymmetry as a Predictor in the Treatment of Pediatric Lateral Condyle Fractures.”
- International Pediatric Orthopaedic Symposium (IPOS) presented by POSNA and AAOS (December 2019).
- Nester, J; Torino, D; Seeley, M. Incidence of Reoperation Rate in Children and Adolescents after Primary ACL Reconstruction.
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting 2020.
- Eastern Orthopaedic Association Annual Meeting 2019, Rapid Fire Presentation.
- Torino, D; Kolessar, D; Damsgaard, C. Investigating tibial component implant-cement failure in the Attune Total Knee Arthroplasty system.
- Presented at OREF NYU Regional Research Symposium.
- Chorney M, Sylvestre D, Seeley M. Medial Epicondyle Nonunions in Children: Case Report With Overview and Management. J Am Acad Orthop Surg Glob Res Rev. 2019;3(2):e046. Published 2019 Feb 13. doi:10.5435/JAAOSGlobal-D-18-00046
- Chorney, M, Damsgaard C. Wear Properties of Dual Modular THA Implants.
- Presented at 2018 Susquehanna Adult Reconstruction Society Meeting; Harrisburg PA.
- Akoon A, Torino D, Sumner KA, Grandizio LC, Heimbach J, Graham J, Klena JC. Examining the Frequency and Size of Skin Tears Following Collagenase Injection for Dupuytren Contracture Related to Pre Manipulation Contracture Size and Time to Manipulation.
- 2018 American Association for Surgery of the Hand Annual Meeting, Phoenix, AZ.
- Foster B, Graham J, Dwyer CL. Patient Preference Ranking Tool for Anesthesia Options in Elective Hand Surgery.
- American Association for Surgery of the Hand Annual Meeting 2020.