Geisinger’s transitional year residency participates in the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS) for NRMP matching candidates. We are not able to offer spots outside of the match.
Please be sure your application includes:
- Dean’s letter of recommendation / Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE)
- Current curriculum vitae (CV)
- Personal statement
- USMLE or COMPLEX transcript
- Letters of recommendation (at least three, with at least one coming from a physician in a field outside of your chosen advanced residency program)
- Medical school transcript
While we like to see competitive scores on your board exams, and a passing score on your first attempt, keep in mind that applications are reviewed in their entirety. If there are any areas of concern in your application (including but not limited to failing any of your STEP exams and academic difficulty), address these in your personal statement.
Applications are reviewed in detail and interviews are offered. Interviews typically are completed in November and December. If you have an interview scheduled with one of our advanced residency programs, let us know and we will try to coordinate your interviews if possible, particularly if you are traveling from a distance (although it is not always possible to do so). The sooner you apply, the more likely you are to have your choice of interview day.