Student health insurance
Browse available student health insurance plans and find the coverage that’s right for you.
Student health insurance
Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine students can choose from a variety of affordable coverage options. While enrolled, you are required to have medical insurance. Students can purchase one of the Geisinger Health Plan options or enroll in another plan of your choice. Vision and dental plans are available, too.
After you’ve enrolled, send documentation of insurance to Terry Waibel in Student Health Services.
The election to have health insurance automatically continues until graduation unless you opt out.
Geisinger student health plans
Geisinger Commonwealth students can choose between two comprehensive health plans. Each plan is full of the benefits you need so you don’t have to slow down.
How do I know if I’m eligible to enroll?
Open enrollment is from July 1, 2022, until July 21, 2022; coverage will be effective on Aug. 1, 2022, for the 2022-2023 academic year.
What plans are available?
We offer two Premier HMO plans to students. Out-of-network services aren’t covered; students who get out-of-network services will be responsible for the extra cost of their care. Dependents can be enrolled with an additional fee. Check out each plan’s summary of benefits for more details.
How much does it cost?
Your monthly premium varies depending on the plan you choose:
- $500 Deductible Plan: $465.32 per member, per month
- $4000 Deductible Plan: $419.20 per member, per month
Where can I get care?
Finding doctors, urgent care facilities and hospitals in your area is easy.
Find care near your campus
You have access to a variety of care options close to your campus. Visit our student health services resource page here to view a list of facilities and health resources available at each campus.
Find care within the Premier network
- Visit geisingerhealthplan.com/providersearch to get started.
- Add your location.
- Select your health plan from our list of available plans. Yours will be a Premier HMO.
- Select a category to search from our entire library of applicable providers, or narrow your search by searching for doctors, specialties, locations or types of places.
Care outside the network
You also can go outside the Premier network for care. But be aware that you will be subject to all out-of-pocket costs by going out of network.
What other benefits are included?
Pay less for health-related products and services you use every day, like:
- Fitness center memberships
- Contact lenses
- Chiropractic care
- Local amusement parks and activities
- Massage therapy
We offer several programs to help you quit smoking, lose weight or manage chronic conditions including:
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Heart failure
Access to care
As a Geisinger Commonwealth student, you can get care:
- At a facility near your campus
- Within the Premier network
- Outside of the Premiere network (at a higher cost)
When you choose a Premier network provider, you’ll have access to:
- More than 33,000 healthcare providers
- More than 130 hospitals
- More than 220 urgent and convenient care facilities
- Facilities near your campus
Click here to find providers, hospitals and other facilities in our network.
Wellness coaching and support
Our certified wellness coaches can help you quit tobacco, manage weight, increase physical activity, decrease stress and improve your lifestyle. Use online tools, including wellness workshops, fitness trackers and a meal planner, all at your own pace.
Mail order pharmacy
Geisinger Health Plan (GHP) offers a secure and convenient program to deliver prescription medications right to your home. Get a 90-day supply of your regular medications through our mail order pharmacy.
- Save up to 50% on Rx copays*
- Take fewer trips to the pharmacy
- Sign-up for no-hassle, automatic refills
- Get free shipping with no membership fees
- Receive your medications in unmarked packaging
- Talk one-on-one with a pharmacist over the phone
- Request a signature for added security
- Track your order with real-time shipment information
*Nearly all GHP members with prescription drug coverage will pay less for their mail-order medications. Savings rates depend on your health plan. Call us at 800-988-4861 to learn more.
Pediatric dental coverage through Avesis
Dental coverage for children under the age of 19 is included in our Geisinger Marketplace plans. All pediatric dental benefits are provided by Avesis. Pediatric dental plans include coverage for:
- Routine oral exams and cleanings
- Fluoride treatments
- Repairs and maintenance
- Root canal
Please review your Schedule of Benefits for a more detailed list of covered services. Call us at 800-918-5154 with questions.
Eye care benefits are available to dependents under the age of 19.
How do I enroll in a student health plan?
To enroll, fill out the student application and return to Terry Waibel in Student Health Services. Open enrollment for the 2023 school year runs from July 1, 2022, until July 21, 2022; coverage will be effective on Aug. 1, 2022.
What if I want to waive coverage?
Complete this opt-out form.
I’ve submitted my enrollment application. What’s next?
After your application has been processed, someone will be in touch within 10 business days to talk about next steps.
For more information about student health plans, download the brochure here.
Dental and vision plans
Students can choose from these dental & vision plans
Contact Terry Waibel at email@example.com with any questions