Doctor of Medicine (MD) program
At Geisinger Commonwealth, beginning on the very first day of their medical education, students are a part of the community. Each student is assigned to a regional campus, a physician mentor and a Family Centered Experience Program to follow throughout the first two years of their education.
Students receive early clinical experience as they work with their volunteer family, standardized patients, and their physician mentor during three one-week rotations in the regions in both years one and two. In addition to early clinical education, students participate in Community Health Research Projects (CHRPs) and Quality Improvement Community Collaboratives (QuICCs) to gain research experience, investigate and/or solve a community health issue, make an immediate impact on their regional campus community and enhance the health of the region’s citizens.
Highlights of the MD education include:
- A competency-based curriculum with integrated basic and clinical science education.
- A progressive model of medical education that utilizes clinical training sites throughout a 17-county region.
- A family and clinical mentor is assigned to each student. These mentors work with the student throughout his or her education.
- Integrated clerkship in the third year allows students to follow to follow a panel of patients over the course of a year as they train with clinical preceptors in six different core disciplines (family medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics, psychiatry, OB/GYN, and surgery). Click for more information on the Longitudinal Integrated Clerkship (LIC) model.
- A focus on community service and learning to work within an interprofessional medical team.
We are focused on developing a diverse community of physicians (both primary care and specialists) who are skilled in evidence-based medicine and the latest technology.
Click for more information about Geisinger Commonwealth MD programs.
Match Day 2017 at Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine
Fourth-year students learn their residency match for the next 3 to 6 years!