Research InterestsMy health services research strives to understand how hospital- and health system-level variations in organizational characteristics affect outcomes for critically ill patients, using large clinical databases. From a patient safety perspective, I also study how variations in care delivery processes in acute hospital care settings affect patient outcomes, using epidemiologic and quality control methodologies. Specific areas of research interest include sepsis, cardiac arrest, and the adult respiratory distress syndrome.
- Ofoma UR, Walkey AJ. (2017, May). The Interhospital Transfer of Mechanically Ventilated PAteitns: Too Little, Too Late, and Questionably Motivated? Ann Am Thorc Soc. 626-627. PMID: 28459626
- Ofoma, Uchenna R. MD, MS; Dahdah, John DO; Kethireddy, Shravan MD; Maeng, Daniel PhD; Walkey, Allan J. MD, MSc. (2017, April). Case Volume-Outcomes Associations Among Patients With Severe Sepsis Who Underwent Interhospital Transfer. Critical Care Medicine. 45, 4, p 615-622. Full Text.
- Ofoma UR, Reriani MK, Biehl M, Kashyap R, Ahmed AH, Rabinstein AA, Gajic C. (2015, June). Neuromuscular and Neuropsychological Assessments in Survivors of AcuteRespiratory Distress Syndrome: ExploratoryComparisons with an At-Risk Cohort . Neurocritical Care , 22(3), 395-402. Full Text
- Biehl M, Kashyap R, Ahmed AH, Reriani MK, Ofoma UR, Wilson GA, Li G, Malinchoc M, Sloan JA, Gajic O. (2015, Oct). Six-month quality-of-life and functional status of acute respiratory distress syndrome survivors compared to patients at risk: a population-based study.. Crit Care , 19, 356. Full Text
- Ofoma UR, Chandra S, Kashyap R, Herasevich V, Ahmed A, Gajic O, Pickering BW, Farmer CJ. (2014, Jun). Findings from the Implementation of a Validated Readmission Predictive Tool in the Discharge Workflow of a Medical Intensive Care Unit. Ann Am Thorac Soc , 11(5), 737-43. Full Text
- Ofoma U, He F, Shaffer ML, Naccarelli GV, Liao D. (2012, Oct). Premature cardiac contractions and risk of incident ischemic stroke. Journal of the American Heart Association , 1(5):e002519. Full Text
EducationMD, University of Nigeria
MRCSI, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
Internal Medicine Residency, Maimonides Medical Center, Brooklyn NY
MS, Pennnsylvania State University
Critical Care Fellowship, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN