Dr. Green’s research focuses on understanding how health literacy impacts patient care and outcomes in patients with kidney disease. She is particularly interested in studying methods to improve provider-patient communication and self-management behaviors in patients with low health literacy and kidney disease. She is the previous recipient of an American Kidney Fund Clinical Scientist in Nephrology Award to study the associations of limited health literacy with dialysis treatment adherence and health resource utilization in patients receiving chronic hemodialysis. In addition, she has developed curricula for health care providers on the use of clear health communication techniques to address health literacy in clinical practice.
- Schell JO, Green JA, Tulsky JA, Arnold RM. (2012). Communication Skills Training for Dialysis Decision-Making and End of Life Care in Nephrology. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology , In Press.
- Green JA, Mor MK, Shields AM, Sevik MA, Palevsky PM, Fine MJ, Arnold RM, Weisbord SD. (2012, February). Renal provider perceptions and practice patterns regarding the management of pain, sexual dysfunction, and depression in hemodialysis patients. J Palliat Med , 15(2), 163-167. Full Text
- Weisbord SD, Mor MK, Green JA , Sevick MA, Shields AM, Zhao X, Rollman BL, Palevsky PM, Arnold RM, Fine MJ. (2012, September). Comparison of Symptom Management Strategies for Pain, Erectile Dysfunction, and Depression in Patients Receiving Chronic Hemodialysis: A Cluster Randomized Effectiveness Trial. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol , Epub ahead of print. Full Text
- Green SM, Selzer F, Mulukutla SR, Tadajweski EJ, Green JA, Wilensky RL, Laskey WK, Cohen HA, Rao SV, Weisbord SD, Lee JS, Reis SE, Kip KE, Kelsey SF, Williams DO, Marroquin OC. (2011, December). Comparison of bare-metal and drug-eluting stents in patients with chronic kidney disease (from the NHLBI Dynamic Registry). Am J Cardiol , 108(11),1658-64. Full Text
- Green JA, Mor MK, Shields AM, Sevick MA, Palevsky PM, Fine MJ, Arnold RM, Weisbord SD. (2011, June). Prevalence and demographic and clinical associations of health literacy in patients on maintenance hemodialysis. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol , 6(6),1354-60. Full Text
EducationMD, Temple University School of Medicine, 2000-2005
Internal Medicine Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital, 2005-2008
Nephrology Fellowship, University of Pittsburgh, 2008-2011
MS, Medical Education, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 2009-2012