Research InterestsMy primary research interests are in genomic medicine, access to care and clinical outcomes of genetic counseling. In particular, I have been an integral part of a primary care-based family health history and clinical decision support study; have developed in-person and telegenetics outreach clinics, and led a randomized trial comparing outcomes of in-person counseling vs. telegenetics; and was PI of an R03 grant assessing adherence to recommended risk management among unaffected BRCA mutation carriers. I am a board-certified cancer genetic counselor with a decade of research experience in assessing cancer risk management behaviors. My clinical expertise in hereditary cancer syndromes includes intimate knowledge of referral criteria for genetic counseling and recommended risk management for hereditary cancer syndromes. And as a master’s trained health behavior and health education specialist, I have developed and evaluated several cancer screening interventions, including two tailored interventions to facilitate patient-physician discussions about cancer risk management behaviors. At Geisinger, I hope to focus on systematic collection and use of family health history and risk-based clinical decision support to guide care throughout the health system; evaluation of behavioral outcomes of the cancer genomics program; and improving access to cancer genomics care by implementing multiple service delivery models and standardized referral practices.
- Daniels MS, Babb S, King R, Urbauer D, Amos CI, Brandt AC, Buchanan AH, Mutch DG, Lu KH. (2014, Apr). Underestimation of risk of a BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation in women with high-grade serous ovarian cancer by BRCAPRO: A multi-institution study. J Clin Oncol , 32(12):1249-55. Full Text
- Buchanan AH, Christianson CA, Himmel T, Powell KP, Agbaje A, Ginsburg GS, Henrich VC, Orlando LA. (2014, Aug). Use of a Patient-entered Family Health History Tool with Decision Support in Primary Care: Impact of Identification of Increased Risk Patients on Genetic Counseling Attendance. J Genet Couns , epub ahead of print. Full Text
- Wu RR, Himmel T, Buchanan AH, Powell K, Hauser E, Agbaje A, Ginsburg GS, Henrich VC. (2014, Feb). Quality of family history collection with use of a patient facing family history collection tool. BMC Family Practice , 15, 31. Full Text
- 4. Schully SD, Dotson WD, Lam TK, Chang CQ, Aronson N, Birkeland ML, Brewster SJ, Boccia S, Buchanan AH, Calonge N, Calzone K, Clyne M, Djulbegovic B, Goodard KAB, Klein RD, Klein TE, Lau J, Long R, Lyman GH, Morgan RL , Palmer CGS, Relling MV, Rubinstein W, Terry SF, Williams MS and Khoury MJ. (2014, Jun). Evidence Synthesis and Guideline Development in Genomic Medicine: Current Status and Future Prospects. Genet Med , epub ahead of print. Full Text
- Orlando LA, Wu RR, Himmel T, Buchanan AH, Powell KP, Hauser E, Henrich VC, Ginsburg GS. (2014, May). Implementing family health history risk stratification in primary care: Impact of guideline criteria on populations and resource demand. Am J Med Genet Part C Semin Med Genet , 166C(1):24-33. Full Text
EducationMPH, University of North Carolina Gillings School of Public Health, 1998-2000
MS, University of North Carolina at Greensboro, 2002-2004