Research InterestsDr. Chang is a practicing nephrologist and Clinical Investigator at Geisinger Health System. He is the recipient of a K23 Career Development Award, “Morbid Obesity, Bariatric Surgery, and Kidney Function,” from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. In this grant, Dr. Chang is directly measuring glomerular filtration rate and novel filtration markers in patients undergoing bariatric surgery with the goal of improving assessment of kidney function in patients with severe obesity. Future plans include the use of Geisinger’s extensive biobank and electronic health record to examine whether bariatric surgery slows long-term kidney function decline in patients with severe obesity. Dr. Chang also serves as the lead investigator at Geisinger for the Chronic Kidney Disease – Prognosis Consortium (CKD-PC), an international collaborative research group that studies risk factors and prognosis of CKD. Lastly, Dr. Chang has an interest in leveraging technology and innovation to improve dietary management of CKD. With the help of a multidisciplinary team, Dr. Chang is conducting a pilot study testing the feasibility of a remote dietary counseling program to improve dietary quality and slow CKD progression in patients with early kidney disease.
- Grams ME, Sang Y, Levey AS, Matsushita K, Ballew S, Chang AR, Chow EK, Kasiske BL, Kovesdy CP, Nadkarni GN, Shalev V, Segev DL, Coresh J, Lentine KL, Garg AX. (2016 Feb). Chronic Kidney Disease Prognosis Consortium. Kidney-Failure Risk Projection for the Living Kidney-Donor Candidate. N Engl J Med , 374(5):411-21.
- Lazarus B, Chen Y, Wilson FP, Sang Y, Chang A, Coresh J, Grams ME. (2016, Feb). Proton Pump Inhibitor Use and the Risk of Chronic Kidney Disease. JAMA Intern Med , 176(2):238-46.
- Chang AR, Chen Y, Still C, Wood GC, Kirchner HL, Lewis M, Kramer H, Hartle JE, Carey D, Appel LJ, Grams ME. (2016, July). Bariatric surgery is associated with improvement in kidney outcomes. Kidney Int , 90(1):164-71.
- , Chang AR, Sang Y, Leddy J, Yahya T, Kirchner HL, Inker LA, Matsushita K, Ballew SH, Coresh J, Grams ME. (2016, June). Antihypertensive Medications and the Prevalence of Hyperkalemia in a Large Health System. Hypertension , 67(6):1181-8.
- Chang AR, Lazo M, Appel LJ, Gutiérrez OM, Grams ME. (2014, February). High dietary phosphorus intake is associated with all-cause mortality: results from NHANES III. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition , 99(2):320-7. Full Text
EducationBS, The Ohio State University, 2000-2003
MD, The Ohio State University College of Medicine, 2003-2007
Internal Medicine Residency, Loyola University, 2007-2010
MS, Loyola University, 2009-2011
Nephrology Fellowship, Loyola University, 2010-2012
Renal Epidemiology, Postdoc Research Fellowship, Johns Hopkins University, 2012-2013