Research InterestsDr. Metpally’s research is focused on understanding genetic and epigenetic basis of human diseases. He develops computational pipelines for the integration of data from multiple genomic technologies and clinical big-data to fetch meaningful biomedical observations.
1. Large scale data analysis for Next Generation Sequencing technologies: Whole Genome, Exome Sequencing, RNASeq, Long and small non-coding RNA including lncRNA, miRNA, piRNA, and circular RNA.
2. Genotyping and Phenome wide association studies
3. Identification of Germline and Somatic mutations that predispose or contribute to the development of tumors.
4. Implementation of patient specific comprehensive approaches integrating SNVs, INDELS, CNAs, SVs, non-coding RNAs, Methylation aberrations and Gene expression as a personalized medicine approach, especially to identify cancer drivers.
5. Examination of differentially expressed genes or microRNAs as biomarkers for the detection of liver fibrosis, Brain trauma, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases.
6. Study of epigenetic methylation regulation of gene expression using whole genome Bisulphite sequencing and RNASeq
- Salhia B, Kiefer J, Ross JT, Metpally R, Martinez RA, Johnson KN, DiPerna DM, Paquette KM, Jung S, Nasser S, Wallstrom G, Tembe W, Baker A, Carpten J, Resau J, Ryken T, Sibenaller Z, Petricoin EF, Liotta LA, Ramanathan RK, Berens ME, Tran NL . (2014, Jan). Integrated genomic and epigenomic analysis of breast cancer brain metastasis. PLoS One , 9(1):e85448. Full Text
- Burgos K, Malenica I, Metpally R, Courtright A, Rakela B, Beach T, Shill H, Adler C, Sabbagh M, Villa S, Tembe W, Craig D, Van Keuren-Jensen K . (2014, May). Profiles of Extracellular miRNA in Cerebrospinal Fluid and Serum from Patients with Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Diseases Correlate with Disease Status and Features of Pathology. PLoS One , 9(5):e94839. Full Text
- Metpally R, Nasser S, Malenica I, Courtright A, Carlson E, Ghaffari L, Villa S, Tembe W, Van Keuren-Jensen K. (2013, March). Comparison of emerging tools for miRNA high throughput sequencing analysis using nerve crush as a model. Front Genet , 4:20. Full Text
- Burgos K, Javaherian A, Bomprezzi R, Rhodes S, Tembe W?, Courtright A?, Kim? S, Metpally R and Van Keuren-Jensen K . (2013, May). Identification of extracellular miRNA in human cerebrospinal fluid by next- generation sequencing. RNA , 19(5):712-22. Full Text
- Weiss GJ, Liang WS, Izatt T, Arora S, Cherni I, Raju RN, Hostetter G, Kurdoglu A, Christoforides A, Sinari S, Baker AS, Metpally R, Tembe WD, Phillips L, Von Hoff DD, Craig DW, Carpten JD. (2012). Paired tumor and normal whole genome sequencing of metastatic olfactory neuroblastoma. PLoS One , 7(5):e37029. Full Text