Research InterestsJoseph Blansfield, M.D. is currently the Section Head of Surgical Oncology at the Geisinger Clinic. He is a surgical oncologist with clinical interests in GI tumors, hepatobiliary tumors and soft tissue tumors including sarcomas and skin cancers. Prior to joining Geisinger, he was a clinical and laboratory fellow at the National Cancer Institute. His current research efforts focus on clinical pathways for pancreatic cancer patients and improving staging techniques for melanoma and other skin cancers. He is also heavily involved with biobanking at Geisinger and currently has an open IRB approved biobank for the General Surgery Department.
- Buonpane C, Julien M, Hunsinger M, Fluck M, Wild J, Halm K, Long K, Buzas C, Shabahang M, Blansfield J. Predictors of utilization and quality assessment in robotic rectal cancer resection: a review of the National Cancer Database. The American Surgeon, submitted for publication Feb. 2017.
- Bashaw SA, Munoz A, Dove JT, HunsingerM, Arora T, Wild J, Shabahang M, Blansfield J. Hospital based study of compliance with NCCN guidelines and predictive factors of sentinel lymph node biopsy in the setting of thin melanoma using the National Cancer Database. The American Surgeon, submitted for publication Feb. 2017.
- Young K, Benson M, Higgins A, Dove J, Hunsinger M, Shabahang M, Blansfield J, Torres D, Widom K, Wild J. In the Modern Era of Computed Tomography, Do Blunt Trauma Patients with CT Markers for Blunt Bowel or Mesenteric Injury Require Exploratory Laparotomy? The American Surgeon, submitted for publication Feb. 2017.
- Kozick Z, Hashmi A, Dove J, Hunsinger M, Arora T, Wild J, Shabahang MM, Blansfield JA. Disparities in Compliance with the 21-Gene Reverse Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction Assay for Breast Cancer in the United States: A National Cancer Data Base Assessment. Annals of Surgical Oncology, Submitted for publication Feb 2017.
- Young K, Efiong E, Dove J, Blansfield JA, Hunsinger MA, Wild JL, Shabahang MM, Facktor MA. External validation of a survival nomogram for non-small cell lung cancer using the National Cancer Database. Annals of Surgical Oncology, accepted for publication Jan 2017.
MD, Georgetown University School of Medicine, 1995-1999
General Surgery Residency, Abington Memorial Hospital, 1999-2004
Immunotherapy Fellowship, National Cancer Institute, 2004-2005
Surgical Oncology, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, 2005-2007