Research InterestsAs the Director of Cardiovascular Wellness for the Geisinger Health System, and a Clinician-Scientist in the Cardiovascular Division of the Geisinger Medical Center I have the opportunity to focus my research on one of the most important healthcare issues today – cardiovascular disease. While over the past decade I have had the opportunity to serve as principle investigator of, or had a leadership role in over a dozen international, multicenter randomized clinical trials of novel therapies my current research focus is directed more towards how to best implement proven therapies population-wide. My research work at Geisinger is in the application of an integrated systems-based approach to the optimal identification, communication, and treatment of an individual’s risk for various manifestations of cardiovascular disease. Doing so allows me the exciting opportunity to be directly engaged with other researchers and clinicians throughout the health system including the Medical Center, Community Practice Service Line, the Division of Innovation, and the Geisinger Health Plan.
- Verheugt FW, Steinhubl SR, Hamon M, Darius H, Steg PG, Valgimigli M, Marso SP, Rao SV, Gershlick AH, Lincoff AM, Mehran R, Stone GW. (2011, February). Incidence, prognostic impact, and influence of antithrombotic therapy on access and nonaccess site bleeding in percutaneous coronary intervention. JACC Cardiovasc Interv , 4(2), 191-7. Full Text
- Steinhubl SR. (2011, November). Historical observations on the discovery of platelets, platelet function testing and the first antiplatelet agent. Curr Drug Targets , 12(12), 1792-804. Full Text
- Steinhubl SR. (2010, February). Genotyping, clopidogrel metabolism, and the search for the therapeutic window of thienopyridines. Circulation , 121(4), 481-3. Full Text
- Sibbing D, Steinhubl SR, Schulz S, Schömig A, Kastrati A. (2010, July). Platelet aggregation and its association with stent thrombosis and bleeding in clopidogrel-treated patients: initial evidence of a therapeutic window. J Am Coll Cardiol , 56(4), 317-8. Full Text
- Dosh K, Berger PB, Marso S, van Lente F, Brennan DM, Charnigo R, Topol EJ, Steinhubl S. (2009, December). Relationship between baseline inflammatory markers, antiplatelet therapy, and adverse cardiac events after percutaneous coronary intervention: an analysis from the clopidogrel for the reduction of events during observation trial. Circ Cardiovasc Interv , 2(6), 503-12. Full Text
EducationMS, Georgetown University, 1983-1984
MD, St. Louis University, 1984-1988