Research InterestsI am trained in Internal Medicine and Pediatric as well as genetics and thus in a unique position of being able to evaluate and manage families for genetic/genomic conditions. My interests are in clinical care and the translation of genetic/genomic risk to preventative care. This includes the efficient use of medical records to screen for risk and creating automated ways of getting regular screening. I am also interested in preparing the next generation of medical professionals for dealing with genomic level risk for disease and understanding the strengths and limitations of such an approach. Genomics provides a powerful tool for preventative care and helping us better take care of patients.
- Sweet K, Gordon ES, Sturm AC, Schmidlen TJ, Manickam K, Toland AE, Keller MA, Stack CB, García-España JF, Bellafante M, Tayal N, Embi P, Binkley P, Hershberger RE, Sadee W, Christman M, Marsh C.. (2014, Jan). Design and implementation of a randomized controlled trial of genomic counseling for patients with chronic disease.. J Pers Med , 4(1), 1-19. Full text
- Manickam K, Donoghue DJ, Meyer AN, Snyder PJ, Prior TW.. (2014, Jan). Suppression of severe achondroplasia with developmental delay and acanthosis nigricans by the p.Thr651Pro mutation.. Am J Med Genet A , 164A(1), 243-250. Full Text
- Shuldiner AR, Relling MV, Peterson JF, Hicks JK, Freimuth RR, Sadee W, Pereira NL, Roden DM, Johnson JA, Klein TE; Pharmacogenomics Research Network Translational Pharmacogenetics Program Group, Shuldiner AR, Vesely M, Robinson SW, Ambulos N Jr, Stass SA, Kelemen MD, Brown LA, Pollin TI, Beitelshees AL, Zhao RY, Pakyz RE, Palmer K, Alestock T, O'Neill C, Maloney K, Branham A, Sewell D, Relling MV, Crews K, Hoffman J, Cross S, Haidar C, Baker D, Hicks JK, Bell G, Greeson F, Gaur A, Reiss U, Huett. (2013, Aug). The Pharmacogenomics Research Network Translational Pharmacogenetics Program: overcoming challenges of real-world implementation.. Clin Pharmacol Ther , 94(2), 207-210. Full Text
- Sturm AC, Manickam K. (2012, Jun). Direct-to-consumer personal genomic testing: a case study and practical recommendations for “genomic counseling”.. J Genet Couns , 21(3), 402-412. Full Text
- McBride KL, Varga EA, Pastore MT, Prior TW, Manickam K, Atkin JF, Herman GE.. (2010, Jun). Confirmation study of PTEN mutations among individuals with autism or developmental delays/mental retardation and macrocephaly.. Autism Res , 3(3), 137-141. Full Text
EducationMD, The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, 1997-2002
MPH, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2007-2016