I use my skills as an anthropologist, population geneticist, and genetic epidemiologist to bring together the bio-cultural, genetic, and public health perspectives to investigate complex questions related to cardiometabolic risk across the lifecourse. Much of my past research focuses on interrogating the relationship between genetic and environmental factors that influence obesity risk in ethnically diverse U.S. and global populations. I have a strong research interest in the development of best analytical approaches for genetic and epigenetic data analysis to improve reproducibility and generalization of research findings. My current research aims to investigate the genetic and epigenetic underpinnings of obesity and its downstream influence on other metabolic diseases by applying longitudinal, integrated epigenetic/genetic/transcriptional analyses.
- M Graff, LS Emery, AE Justice, E Parra, JE Below, ND Palmer, et al. Genetic architecture of lipid traits in the Hispanic community health study/study of Latinos. Lipids Health Dis. 2017 Oct 12;16(1):200. doi: 10.1186/s12944-017-0591-6. PubMed PMID: 29025430; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5639746.
- TW Winkler, AE Justice, LA Cupples, F Kronenberg, Z Kutalik, IM Heid, GIANT consortium. Approaches to detect genetic effects that differ between two strata in genome-wide meta-analyses: Recommendations based on a systematic evaluation. PLoS One 2017, 12(7):e0181038. PubMed PMID: 28749953.
- M Graff*, R Scott*, AE Justice*, KL Young*, MF Feitosa, L Barata, TW Winkler, A Chu et al. Genome-wide physical activity interactions in obesity ― a meta-analysis of 200,452 adults. PLoS Genet 2017, 13(4):e1006528. PubMed PMID: 28448500.
- AE Justice*, TW Winkler*, MF Feitosa*, M Graff*, VA Fisher*, K Young*, L Barata*, X Deng, et al. Genome-wide meta-analysis of smoking-dependent genetic effects on obesity traits. Nat Commun 2017, 8:14977. PubMed PMID: 28443625.
- E Marouli*, M Graff*, C Medina-Gomez*, KS Lo, AR Wood*, TR Kjaer*, RS Fine*, Y Lu*, C Schurmann, HM Highland, S Rüeger, G Thorleifsson, AE Justice, et al. Rare and low-frequency coding variants alter human adult height. Nature. Feb 9;542(7640):186-190. doi: 10.1038/nature21039. Epub 2017 Feb 1. PubMed PMID: 28146470; PMCID: PMC5302847.
- AE Justice*, AG Howard*, G Chittoor*, L Fernandez-Rhodes, VS Voruganti, SM Love, N Franceschini, CL Avery, M Graff, KL Young, KE North. Genome-Wide Association of Trajectories of Systolic Blood Pressure Change. BMC Proc. 2016 Oct 18;10 (Suppl 7):321-327. doi: 10.1186/s12919-016-0050-9. eCollection 2016. PubMed PMID: 27980656; PMCID: PMC5133524.
MA with honors, Anthropology, University of Kansas
PhD with honors, Anthropology, University of Kansas
Postdoctoral Fellow, Epidemiology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill