Dr. Fornwalt directs the Cardiac Imaging Technology Laboratory at Geisinger, which is a group of Biomedical Engineering PhDs, Physician Scientists and other researchers within Geisinger’s Department of Imaging Science and Innovation. Our mission is to improve the lives of patients with cardiovascular disease through the development, implementation, and utilization of state-of-the-art imaging and image processing technologies, with a particular focus on cardiac biomechanics. Our projects span multiple fields, including but not limited to: Biomechanics, Image Processing, Software Development, Machine Learning, Clinical Science and Medicine, Genomics, Physiology, and Biostatistics and Bioinformatics.
Our three primary focuses are currently:
- Using cardiac mechanics and electronic health record data to improve prediction of patient outcomes
- Quantifying and understanding sub-clinical cardiac dysfunction in the setting of pediatric obesity
- Using cardiac imaging and mechanics to predict the development of inherited cardiomyopathies
- Hamlet SM, Haggerty CM, Suever JD, Wehner GJ, Andres KN, Powell DK, Charnigo RJ, Fornwalt BK. Using a respiratory navigator significantly reduces variability when quantifying left ventricular torsion with cardiovascular magnetic resonance. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2017 Mar 1;19(1):25. doi: 10.1186/s12968-017-0338-6.
- Hamlet SM, Haggerty CM, Suever JD, Wehner GJ, Grabau JD, Andres KN, Vandsburger MH, Powell DK, Sorrell VL, Fornwalt BK. An interactive videogame designed to improve respiratory navigator efficiency in children undergoing cardiovascular magnetic resonance. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2016 Sep 6;18(1):54. doi: 10.1186/s12968-016-0272-z.
- Jing L, Wehner GJ, Suever JD, Charnigo RJ, Alhadad S, Stearns E, Mojsejenko D, Haggerty CM, Hickey K, Valente AM, Geva T, Powell AJ, Fornwalt BK. Left and right ventricular dyssynchrony and strains from cardiovascular magnetic resonance feature tracking do not predict deterioration of ventricular function in patients with repaired tetralogy of Fallot. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2016Aug 22;18(1):49. doi: 10.1186/s12968-016-0268-8.
- Hamlet SM, Haggerty CM, Suever JD, Wehner GJ, Andres KN, Powell DK, Zhong X, Fornwalt BK. Optimal configuration of respiratory navigator gating for the quantification of left ventricular strain using spiral cine displacement encoding with stimulated echoes (DENSE) MRI. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2017 Mar;45(3):786-794. doi: 10.1002/jmri.25389.
- Jing L, Binkley CM, Suever JD, Umasankar N, Haggerty CM, Rich J, Wehner GJ, Hamlet SM, Powell DK, Radulescu A, Kirchner HL, Epstein FH, Fornwalt BK. Cardiac remodeling and dysfunction in childhood obesity: a cardiovascular magnetic resonance study. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2016 May 11;18(1):28. doi: 10.1186/s12968-016-0247-0.
EducationMD, Emory University, 2003-2010
PhD, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2005-2008