Dr. Fornwalt directs the Cardiac Imaging Technology Laboratory at Geisinger, which is a group of engineers, researchers and physician scientists within Geisinger’s Department of Imaging Science and Innovation. Our mission is to improve the lives of patients with cardiovascular disease through the development, implementation, and utilization of state-of-the-art imaging and image processing technologies. Our projects span multiple fields, including but not limited to: Biomechanics, Image Processing, Software Development, Machine Learning, Clinical Science and Medicine, Genomics, Physiology, and Biostatistics and Bioinformatics.
Our three primary focuses are currently:
- Leveraging large electronic health record, imaging and genomic databases to generate new knowledge in cardiology
- Quantifying and understanding sub-clinical cardiac dysfunction in the setting of pediatric obesity
- Using cardiac imaging and other electronic health data to better understand and treat patients with genetic mutations linked to heart disease
- Haggerty CM, James CA, Calkins H, Tichnell C, Leader JB, Hartzel DN, Nevius CD, Pendergrass SA, Person TN, Schwartz M, Ritchie MD, Carey DJ, Ledbetter DH, Williams MS, Dewey FE, Lopez A, Penn J, Overton JD, Reid JG, Lebo M, Mason-Suares H, Austin-Tse C, Rehm HL, Delisle BP, Makowski DJ, Mehra VC, Murray MF, Fornwalt BK. Electronic health record phenotype in subjects with genetic variants associated with arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy: a study of 30,716 subjects with exome sequencing. Genetics in medicine : official journal of the American College of Medical Genetics. 2017; 19(11):1245-1252. NIHMSID: NIHMS867695 PubMed [journal]PMID: 28471438 PMCID: PMC5671380
- Zhang X, Liu ZQ, Singh D, Wehner GJ, Powell DK, Campbell KS, Fornwalt BK, Wenk JF. Regional quantification of myocardial mechanics in rat using 3D cine DENSE cardiovascular magnetic resonance. NMR in biomedicine. 2017; 30(8). PubMed [journal]PMID: 28481037
- Jing L, Pulenthiran A, Nevius CD, Mejia-Spiegeler A, Suever JD, Wehner GJ, Kirchner HL, Haggerty CM, Fornwalt BK. Impaired right ventricular contractile function in childhood obesity and its association with right and left ventricular changes: a cine DENSE cardiac magnetic resonance study. Journal of cardiovascular magnetic resonance : official journal of the Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance. 2017; 19(1):49. PubMed [journal]PMID: 28659144 PMCID: PMC5490166
- Suever JD, Wehner GJ, Jing L, Powell DK, Hamlet SM, Grabau JD, Mojsejenko D, Andres KN, Haggerty CM, Fornwalt BK. Right Ventricular Strain, Torsion, and Dyssynchrony in Healthy Subjects Using 3D Spiral Cine DENSE Magnetic Resonance Imaging. IEEE transactions on medical imaging. 2017; 36(5):1076-1085. PubMed [journal]PMID: 28055859
- Hamlet SM, Haggerty CM, Suever JD, Wehner GJ, Andres KN, Powell DK, Charnigo RJ, Fornwalt BK. Using a respiratory navigator significantly reduces variability when quantifying left ventricular torsion with cardiovascular magnetic resonance. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2017 Mar 1;19(1):25. doi: 10.1186/s12968-017-0338-6.
- Hamlet SM, Haggerty CM, Suever JD, Wehner GJ, Grabau JD, Andres KN, Vandsburger MH, Powell DK, Sorrell VL, Fornwalt BK. An interactive videogame designed to improve respiratory navigator efficiency in children undergoing cardiovascular magnetic resonance. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2016 Sep 6;18(1):54. doi: 10.1186/s12968-016-0272-z.
- Jing L, Wehner GJ, Suever JD, Charnigo RJ, Alhadad S, Stearns E, Mojsejenko D, Haggerty CM, Hickey K, Valente AM, Geva T, Powell AJ, Fornwalt BK. Left and right ventricular dyssynchrony and strains from cardiovascular magnetic resonance feature tracking do not predict deterioration of ventricular function in patients with repaired tetralogy of Fallot. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2016Aug 22;18(1):49. doi: 10.1186/s12968-016-0268-8.
- Hamlet SM, Haggerty CM, Suever JD, Wehner GJ, Andres KN, Powell DK, Zhong X, Fornwalt BK. Optimal configuration of respiratory navigator gating for the quantification of left ventricular strain using spiral cine displacement encoding with stimulated echoes (DENSE) MRI. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2017 Mar;45(3):786-794. doi: 10.1002/jmri.25389.
- Jing L, Binkley CM, Suever JD, Umasankar N, Haggerty CM, Rich J, Wehner GJ, Hamlet SM, Powell DK, Radulescu A, Kirchner HL, Epstein FH, Fornwalt BK. Cardiac remodeling and dysfunction in childhood obesity: a cardiovascular magnetic resonance study. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2016 May 11;18(1):28. doi: 10.1186/s12968-016-0247-0.
EducationMD, Emory University, 2003-2010
PhD, Biomedical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2005-2008