Dr. Chang is a practicing nephrologist and Assistant Professor in the Kidney Health Research Institute at Geisinger. He completed residency, fellowship, and a Masters in Clinical Research Methods at Loyola University Medical Center, followed by a post-doctoral Renal Epidemiology fellowship at Johns Hopkins. He has received research awards from the American Heart Association, the National Kidney Foundation, and a K23 Career Development Award from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (Morbid Obesity, Bariatric Surgery, and Kidney Function). His research focuses on improving our understanding of the effects of diet and obesity on risk of kidney and cardiovascular disease through epidemiologic and interventional research studies. A second area of research focuses on health system interventions to identify and optimize management of early kidney disease and hypertension.
- Chang AR, Anderson C. Dietary Phosphorus Intake and the Kidney. Annu Rev Nutr. 2017 Aug 21;37:321-346.
- Chang AR, Grams ME, Navaneethan SD. Bariatric Surgery and Kidney-Related Outcomes. Kidney Int Rep. 2017 Mar;2(2):261-270.
- Chang AR, Miller ER 3rd, Anderson CA, Juraschek SP, Moser M, White K, Henry B, Krekel C, Oh S, Charleston J, Appel LJ. Phosphorus Additives and Albuminuria in Early Stages of CKD: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Am J Kidney Dis. 2017 Feb;69(2):200-209
- Chang AR, Evans M, Yule C, Bohn L, Young A, Lewis M, Graboski E, Gerdy B, Ehmann W, Brady J, Lawrence L, Antunes N, Green J, Snyder S, Kirchner HL, Grams M, Perkins R. Using pharmacists to improve risk stratification and management of stage 3A chronic kidney disease: a feasibility study. BMC Nephrol. 2016 Nov 8;17(1):168.
- Chang AR, Chen Y, Still C, Wood GC, Kirchner HL, Lewis M, Kramer H, Hartle JE, Carey D, Appel LJ, Grams ME. Bariatric surgery is associated with improvement in kidney outcomes. Kidney Int. 2016 Jul;90(1):164-71.
EducationBS, The Ohio State University, 2000-2003
MD, The Ohio State University College of Medicine, 2003-2007
Internal Medicine Residency, Loyola University, 2007-2010
MS, Loyola University, 2009-2011
Nephrology Fellowship, Loyola University, 2010-2012
Renal Epidemiology, Postdoc Research Fellowship, Johns Hopkins University, 2012-2013