Dr. Mackeen is an Assistant Professor of Epidemiology and Health Services Research and the Director of Research for the Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine, Women’s and Children’s Institute at Geisinger.
Dr. Mackeen’s primary focus as a clinician-scientist is to improve maternal health and she has focused on this in two main areas.
The first was evaluating the care that women receive during labor and delivery so that obstetric providers can ensure they are providing the most evidence based care in order to optimize maternal and neonatal outcomes. She has an established track record in developing best practice of care for pregnant patients including nationally recognized studies delineating the appropriate skin closure technique for women undergoing cesarean delivery and the safest method of inducing labor in women who present with ruptured membranes.
Her current focus is examining the impact of the maternal metabolic environment on the developing fetus and the long-term health of the mother and her child. She has a number of ongoing studies to help define the role of obesity in adverse pregnancy outcomes and to help women gain the appropriate amount of weight during gestation in an attempt to lessen the risks associated with obesity in pregnancy.
- Mackeen AD, Berghella V, Larsen, ML. Techniques and materials for skin closure in cesarean section. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 2012 Nov 14; 11: CD003577. PMID: 23152219.
- Mackeen AD, Seibel-Seamon J, Grimes-Dennis J, Baxter JK, Berghella V. Tocolysis for preterm premature rupture of membranes. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 2014 Feb 27; 2: CD007062. PMID: 24578236.
- Mackeen AD, Khalifeh A, Fleisher J, Vogell A, Han C, Sendecki J, Pettker C, Leiby B, Baxter JK, Sfakianaki A, Berghella V. Suture compared with staple skin closure after cesarean delivery: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol, 2014 June, vol 123(6): 1169-1175. PMID: 24807325.
- Mackeen AD, Packard RE, Ota E, Berghella V, Baxter JK. Timing of intravenous prophylactic antibiotics for preventing postpartum infectious morbidity in women undergoing cesarean delivery. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 2014 Dec 5; 12: CD009516. PMID: 25479008.
- Mackeen AD, Packard RE, Ota E, Speer L. Antibiotic regimens for postpartum endometritis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 2015 Feb 2; 2: CD 001067. PMID: 25922861.
- Mackeen AD, Schuster M, Berghella V. Suture versus staples for skin closure after cesarean: a meta-analysis. Amer J Obstet Gynecol, 2015 May, vol 212(5): 621.e1-e10. PMID: 25530592.
- Mackeen AD, Khalifeh A, Fleisher J, Han C, Leiby B, Berghella V. Pain associated with cesarean delivery skin closure: secondary analysis of a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol, 2015 Oct, vol 126(4): 702-7. PMID: 26348166.
- Schuster M, Madueke-Laveaux OS, Mackeen AD, Feng W, Paglia MJ. The effect of the MFM obesity protocol on cesarean delivery rates. Amer J Obstet Gynecol, 2016 Oct, vol 215(4): 492.e1-6. PMID 27177524.
- Mackeen AD, Durie DE, Lin M, Huls CK, Qureshey E, Paglia MJ, Sun H, Sciscione A. Foley plus oxytocin versus oxytocin for induction after membrane rupture: a randomized trial. Obstet Gynecol, 2018 Jan, vol 131(1): 1-8. PMID: 29215519.
MPH, University of Medicine and Dentistry, School of Public Health, 2001-2003
MD, University of Medicine and Dentistry, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, 2001-2005
Ob/Gyn Residency, University of Connecticut Health Center, 2005-2009
Maternal Fetal Medicine Fellowship, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, 2009-2012
Maternal-Fetal Medicine Research Award (TJUH), 2012
Faculty Teaching Award (Geisinger), 2013
Faculty Teaching Award (Geisinger), 2016
Faculty Teaching Award (Geisinger), 2017