I am a Ph.D. engineer-by-training with a math/analytic background who is interested in improving the healthcare system and healthcare outcomes in the United States. There are many unanswered questions in healthcare that traditional, prospective, randomized controlled trials are very unlikely to be able to answer in our lifetime, and so my particular interest is leveraging the types of “big data” (electronic health records, claims, billing, other databases) in other ways in order to test theories and gain insight about patient care. Questions around medication adherence, medication persistence, treatment effectiveness, and continuity of care are just some examples of the specific applications we are examining here. As a statistician on many Geisinger-led studies, my primary interest is learning and developing new and better ways to compare therapies or new programs when no obvious control group exists, and to reduce the effects of confounding variables and other sources of bias. I also have a strong interest in data standards, having worked with several Distributed Research Networks for the purpose leveraging existing datasets for large-scale multi-site observational studies of clinical effectiveness.
- Hao-J, Pitcavage-J, Jones-JB, Hoegerl-C, Graham-J, “Measuring adherence and outcomes in treatment of multiple sclerosis,” Journal of the American Osteopathic Association, December 2017; 117:737-747.
- Jones-L, Greskovic-G, Grassi-D, Graham-J, Sun-H, Gionfriddo-M, Murray-M, Manickam-K, Nathanson-D, Wright-E, Evans-M, “Medication therapy disease management: Geisinger’s approach to population health management,” American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy 2017 Sep, 74(18):1422-1435.
- Graham-J, Fan-L, Meadows-ES, Hang-L, Partridge-J, Goates-S, “Addressing malnutrition across the continuum of care: characteristics of patients who receive oral nutritional supplements,” Journal of Ageing Research and Healthcare 2017, 1(3). DOI: 10.14302/issn.2474-7785.jarh-16-1398.
- Graham J, Sanchez RJ, Saseen J, Mallya UG, Panaccio MP, Evans MA. (2016). Clinical and economic consequences of statin intolerance in the United States: results from an integrated health system. Journal of Clinical Lipidology. Full Text
- Jubelt L, Graham J, Maeng DD, Li H, Epstein AJ, Metlay JP. (2014, Nov). Patient ratings of case managers in a medical home: associations with patient satisfaction and healthcare utilization. Annals of Internal Medicine, 161(10 Suppl):S59-S65. Full Text
EducationM.S. Mechanical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, 1997-2000
Ph.D. Bioengineering, University of California, Berkeley and San Francisco, 1997-2002