Brian J. Piper, PhD, MS
Brian J. Piper, PhD, MS, maintains basic and clinical research interests in psychopharmacology, pharmacoepidemiology, behavioral neurology methods development and medical ethics. He has published more than 40 peer-reviewed publications. His research has been supported by various federal (National Institute of Drug Abuse, National Institute of Mental Health and the Department of Defense) and private foundations. Prior to joining Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine, he was with the neuroscience program at Bowdoin College and the Department of Basic Pharmaceutical Sciences at Husson University School of Pharmacy.
- Piper B, Lambert D, Keefe R, Smukler P, Selemon N, Duperry Z. (2018-in press). Undisclosed conflicts of interest among biomedical textbook authors. American Journal of Bioethics Empirical Bioethics. Full text.
- Piper B, Suarez M, Piserchio J, Shah D, Simoyan O, McCall K, Desrosiers C, Nichols S. (2018) Illicit and prescription drug misuse as reported to the Maine Diversion Alert Program. Forensic Science International 285:65-71. Full text.
- Piper B, Desrosiers C, Fisher H, McCall K, Nichols S. (2017). A new tool to tackle the opioid epidemic: Description, utility and results from the Maine Diversion Alert Program. Pharmacotherapy, 37:791-798.
- Piper B, Beals M, Abess A, Nichols S, Martin M, Cobb C, DeKeuster R (2017). Chronic pain patients’ perspectives of medical cannabis. Pain 158:1373-1379.
- Piper B, DeKeuster R, Cobb C, Burchman C, Perkinson L, Lynn S, Nichols S, Abess A. (2017). Substitution of medical cannabis for pharmaceutical agents for pain, anxiety, and sleep. Journal of Psychopharmacology 31:569-575.
- Piper B, Desrosiers C, Rodney M, Baker R, McCall K, Nichols S, Martin S (2016) Use and misuse of opioids in Maine: Results from pharmacists, the Prescription Monitoring and the Diversion Alert programs. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs 77:556-565.
- Piper B, Telku H, Lambert D (2015) A quantitative analysis of undisclosed conflicts of interest inpharmacology textbooks. PLoS One 10:e0133261.
- Yasen A, Raber J, Miller J, Piper B (2015) Sex, but not apolipoprotein E, contributes to spatial performance in young-adults. Archives of Sexual Behavior 44:2219-2226.
- Piper B, Mueller S, Geerken A, Dixon K, Kroliczak G, Olsen R, Miller J (2015) Reliability and validity of neurobehavioral function on the Psychology Experiment Building Language test battery in young-adults. PeerJ 3:e1460 DOI: 10.7717/peerj.1460.
- Piper B, Corbett S, Gray S, Birkett M, Raber J (2014) Executive function and mental health in adopted children with a history of recreational drug exposures. PLoS One 9:e110459.
- Mueller S, Piper B (2014) The Psychology Experiment Building Language (PEBL) and the PEBL test battery. Journal of Neuroscience Methods 222:250-259.
- Fox C, Mueller ST, Grey H, Raber J, Piper B (2013) Evaluation of a short-form of the Berg Card Sorting test. PLoS One 8(5):e63885.
- Piper B, Gray H, Birkett M (2012) Maternal smoking cessation and reduced academic and behavioral problems in offspring. Drug & Alcohol Dependence 121:62-67.
- Piper B, Corbett S (2012). Executive function profile in the offspring of women that smoked during pregnancy. Nicotine & Tobacco Research 14:191-199.
- Piper B, Li V, Eowiz M, Kobel Y, Benice T, Chu A, Olsen RH, Rice D, Gray H, Mueller S, Raber J (2012) Executive function on the Psychology Experiment Building Language test battery. Behavior Research Methods 44:110-123.
- Piper B, Farelli J, Meyer J (2009) Dissociation of the actions of neonatal MDMA on SERT and BDNF. Developmental Neuroscience 31:90-94.
- Piper B, Fraiman J, Owens C, Ali S, Meyer J (2008) Dissociation of the neurochemical and behavioral consequences of MDMA (“ecstasy”) by citalopram. Neuropsychopharmacology 33:1192-1205.
- Piper B (2007) A developmental comparison of the neurobehavioral effects of ecstasy (MDMA). Neurotoxicology & Teratology 29:288-300.
- Piper B, Vu H, Safain M, Oliver A, Meyer J. (2006). Repeated adolescent MDMA exposure in rats attenuates the effects of a subsequent challenge with MDMA or a 5-HT1A receptor agonist. Journal of Pharmacology & Experimental Therapeutics 317:838-849.
- Piper B, DeYoung M, Lamsam G (2000). Perceptions of a service-learning experience. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education 64:159-165.
BS - Northern Michigan University, psychology
MS - Northern Michigan University, experimental psychology, thesis: behavioral pharmacology
PhD - University of Massachusetts, Amherst, dissertation: neuropharmacology
Postdoc - University of Oregon, focus: neuroimaging
Postdoc - Oregon Health & Science University, focus: behavioral toxicology