Joseph Blansfield, MD, FACS
Research InterestsJoseph Blansfield, M.D. is currently the Section Head of Surgical Oncology at the Geisinger Clinic. He is a surgical oncologist with clinical interests in GI tumors, hepatobiliary tumors and soft tissue tumors including sarcomas and skin cancers. Prior to joining Geisinger, he was a clinical and laboratory fellow at the National Cancer Institute. His current research efforts focus on clinical pathways for pancreatic cancer patients and improving staging techniques for melanoma and other skin cancers.
- Wild J, Younus JM, Malekpour M, Neuhaus N, Widom K, Rapp M, Leonard D, Baro S, Dove J, Hunsinger M, Blansfield J, Shabahang M, Torres D. The effect of interhospital transfers on the outcome of rural trauma. Am Surg, 2017;83:39-44 PMID: 28234124.
- Jaap K, Campbell R, Dove J, Fluck M, Hunsinger M, Arora T, Shabahang MM, Blansfield JA. Disparities in the Care of Differentiated Thyroid Cancer in the United States: Exploring the National Cancer Database. Am Surg 2017;83:739-746. PMID: 28738945.
- Buonpane C, Julien M, Hunsinger M, Fluck M, Wild J, Halm K, Long K, Buzas C, Shabahang M, Blansfield J. Predictors of utilization and quality assessment in robotic rectal cancer resection: a review of the National Cancer Database. Am Surg 2017;83:918-924. PMID: 28822402.
- Young K, Benson M, Higgins A, Dove J, Hunsinger M, Shabahang M, Blansfield J, Torres D, Widom K, Wild J. In the Modern Era of Computed Tomography, Do Blunt Trauma Patients with CT Markers for Blunt Bowel or Mesenteric Injury Require Exploratory Laparotomy? Am Surg. 2017; 83(7): 722-727. PMID:: 28738942
- Kozick Z, Hashmi A, Dove J, Hunsinger M, Arora T, Wild J, Shabahang MM, Blansfield JA. Disparities in Compliance with the 21-Gene Reverse Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction Assay for Breast Cancer in the United States: A National Cancer Data Base Assessment. Am J Surg 2017; S0002-9610 (epub ahead of print) PMID: 28606707.
- Young KA, Lane SM, Widger JE, Neuhaus NM, Dove JT, Fluck M, Hunsinger MA, Blansfield JA, Shabahang MM. Characterizing the Relationship between Surgical Resident and Faculty Perceptions of Autonomy in the Operating Room. J Surg Educ 2017;S1931-7204 (epub ahead of print. PMID: 28623114.
- Young KA, Blansfield JA, Wild J. Outcomes of Complicated Appendicitis: Is Conservative Management as Smooth as it Seems? The American Journal of Surgery. Accepted for publication October 2017.
- Young K, Efiong E, Dove J, Blansfield JA, Hunsinger MA, Wild JL, Shabahang MM, Facktor MA. External validation of a survival nomogram for non-small cell lung cancer using the National Cancer Database. Ann Surg Oncol 2017;24:1459-1464. PMID: 28168388.
MD, Georgetown University School of Medicine, 1995-1999
General Surgery Residency, Abington Memorial Hospital, 1999-2004
Immunotherapy Fellowship, National Cancer Institute, 2004-2005
Surgical Oncology, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, 2005-2007