Ming Ta Michael Lee, PhD
Research InterestsThe main aim of our laboratory is to identify genetic associations with diseases; drug induced adverse events or drug efficacy. It is hoped that the discoveries from our research will identify useful biomarkers which could be used to predict drug-induced adverse events, guide drug use and be used in disease prediction diagnosis. I was involved in the first genome-wide association study on bipolar I disorder in the Han-Chinese population and generating the first methylation profiles for both cartilage and subchondral bone. For Pharmacogenetic studies, the study on warfarin dose requirements, which resulted in the identification the SNP associated with warfarin dose. Our study on lithium treatment response on bipolar patients also identified genetic variants associated with treatment response. In addition genetic variant identification, we also conducted clinical studies evaluating the clinical utilities of the identified variants. I also actively participate in several major international consortium, such as International Warfarin Pharmacogenetic Consortium, International Clopidogrel Pharmacogenetic Consortium, Clinical Pharmacogenetics Implementation Consortium and worked with a group of experts to develop guidelines for pharmacogenetic variants.
- Wen MS, Chang KC, Lee TH, Chen YF, Hung KC, Chang YJ, Liou CW, Chen JJ, Chang CH, Wang CY, Jeng JS, Chuang HP, Chen YT, Chen CH, Wu JY, Chen YT, Lee MTM (2017). Pharmacogenetic dosing of warfarin in the Han Chinese population – a randomized trial. Pharmacogenetics advance online publication January 23, 2017. doi:10.2217/pgs-2016-0154
- Zhang Y, Fukui N, Yahata MTM, Katsuragawa Y, Tashiro T, Ikegawa S, Lee MTM (2016). Identification of DNA methylation changes associated with disease progression in subchondral bone with site-matched cartilage in knee osteoarthritis. Scientific Reports 2016; 6: 34460
- Tsermpini EE, Zhang Y, Niola P, Chillotti C, Ardau R, Severino G, Bocchetta A, Patrinos GP, Lee MTM, Squassina A. Pharmacogenetics of lithium effects on glomerular function in bipolar disorder patients under chronic lithium treatment: a pilot study. Submitted to In Press in Neuroscience Letters 5;638:1-4, 2016 (Co-corresponding)
- Saito Y, Stamp LK, Caudle KE, Hershfield MS, McDonagh EM, Callaghan JT, Tassaneeyakul W, Mushiroda T, Kamatani N, Goldspiel BR, Phillips EJ, Klein TE and Lee MTM. (2016). Clinical Pharmacogenetics Implementation Consortium (CPIC) guidelines for human leukocyte antigen B (HLA-B) genotype and allopurinol dosing: 2015 update. Clin Pharmacol Ther , 99(1):36-37.
- Zhang Y, Fukui N, Yahata M, Katsuragawa Y, Tashiro T, Ikegawa S, Lee MTM. (2015). Genome-wide DNA methylation profile implicates potential cartilage regeneration at the late stage of knee osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage , pii: S1063-4584(15)01436-3. doi: 10.1016.
- Chou CH, Lee MTM, Song IW, Lu LS, Shen HC, Lee CH, Wu JY, Chen YT, Kraus VB, Wu CC . (2015). Insights into osteoarthritis progression revealed by analyses of both knee tibiofemoral compartments. Osteoarthritis Cartilage , 23(4): 571-580.