Thomas R. Bowen, MD FAAOS
Dr. Bowen is interested in the junction of orthopaedics and oncology. His research interests include sarcoma of bone and the connective tissue, limb salvage surgery with allograft or endoprosthetic reconstruction, benign tumors of bone and the connective tissues, and surgical management of metastatic cancer to bone. His research also focuses on total hip arthroplasty, total knee arthroplasty, revision hip arthroplasty, and revision knee arthroplasty surgeries.
- Mowad, C., Bowen, TR., “Rectus femoris tear presenting as an unusual cause of a subcutaneous mass” Journal of American Medical Association, In press
- Li W, Ayers DC, Lewis CG, Bowen TR, Allison JJ, Franklin PD. “Functional Gain and Pain Relief After Total Joint Replacement According to Obesity Status” J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2017 Jul 19;99(14):1183-1189. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.16.00960
- Strohecker KA, Gaffney CJ, Graham J, Irgit K, Smith WR, Bowen TR "Pediatric all-terrain vehicle (ATV) injuries: An epidemic of cost and grief.” Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc. 2017 Jul 10. pii: S1017-995X(16)30403-5. doi: 10.1016/j.aott.2017.06.003. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ghanem,ES, Richards,RR, Wingert, NCH, Gotoff.JR. Graham,JH, Bowen, TR. “Pre-op Use of Clopidogrel does not affect Outcomes for Femoral Neck Fractures Treated with Hemiarthroplasty” J Arthroplasty. 2017 Jul;32(7):2171-2175. doi: 10.1016/j.arth.2017.01.048. Epub 2017 Feb 3
- Richard,R., Bowen, TR., “ What Orthopaedic Operating Room Surfaces Are Contaminated With Bioburden? A Study Using The ATP Bioluminescence Assay.” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 2017- 1-6 10.1007/s11999-016-5221-5
- Horwitz, D., Maniar, H., Wingert, N., McPhillips, K. Foltzer, M.,Graham,J., Bowen TR.,” Role of Sonication for Detection of Infection in Explanted Orthopaedic Trauma Implants” Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. 2016 May;30(5):e175-80.
- Denning SC, Dincer A, Pisano RC, Bowen TR, Ebenstein DM, Kennedy EA (---) Peak Extraction Force of Kirschner (K-) Wire and Reference Probe Indentation Parameters As Predictors Of Bone Mineral Density (BMD). TBD: Draft Stage
- C. Nelson,M.VAnushkina, K Irgit, K.Strohecker, TRBowen, Stemmed femoral implants show lower failure rates in revision total knee arthroplasty The Knee 05/2015; DOI:10.1016/j.knee.2015.02.013
- Horwitz d, Maniar H, Tawari A, Suk M, Bowen TR Percutaneous and mucocutaneous exposure among Orthopaedic surgeons: Immediate management and compliance with CDC protocol. Journal of Orthopedic Trauma, 2015 Oct;29(10):e391-4. Doi
- Irgit K1, Richard RD, Beebe MJ, Bowen TR, Kubiak E, Horwitz DS. Reverse Oblique and Transverse Intertrochanteric Femoral Fractures Treated with the Long Cephalomedullary Nail. J Orthop Trauma. 2015 Sep;29(9):e299-304
- Hou Z, Graham J, Zhang Y, Strohecker K, Feldmann D, Bowen TR, Chen W, Smith W. Comparison of single and two-tunnel techniques during open treatment of acromioclavicular joint disruption. J Orthop Trauma. 2015 Sep;29(9):e299-304.
- BF Deegan, R Richard, BowenTR, R Perkins,J Graham, M Foltzer “ Impact of Chronic Kidney Disease Stage on Lower-extremity Arthroplasty” Healio.com/Orthopaedics (July 2014) volume 37-number 7 e 613-e618
- Nelson C, Jones RB, Wingert N, Foltzer M, Bowen TR “Sonication of Antibiotic Spacers Predicts Failure during Two-stage Revision for Prosthetic Knee and Hip Infections" Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. Ref.: Ms. No. CORR-D-13-01321R1 in press
- Jin L, Hou Z, Strohecker KA, Matzko ME, Andreychick C, Bowen TR, Smith WR. “Early total care with initial stabilization by skeletal traction for multiply-injured patients with femoral shaft fractures”. PLOS One. In press.
- Graham,J., Bowen,TR, Strohecker, K. Irgit, K. Smith, WR, “ Reducing mortality in hip fracture patients using a perioperative approach and “ Patient – Centered Medical Home” model: a prospective cohort study. Patient Safety in Surgery ( 2014), 8:7
- Nelson CL, Jones RB, Wingert NC, Foltzer M, Bowen TR. “Sonication of Antibiotic Spacer Predicts Failure during Two-stage Revision for Prosthetic Knee and Hip Infections” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 2013, published online ahead of print.
- Graham,J., Irgit,K., Smith,W.R., Bowen, TR., “Diaphyseal Femur Fractures Associated with Bisphosphonate Use.” Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc (2013;47(4):255-260 doi:10.3944/AOTT.2013.3047)
- Cafferky N.L, Bowen T.R., Malone W.J, Orthopaedic Case of the Month Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research ( 2013) 471:346-351
- Matzko ME, Bowen TR, Smith WR. Orthogenomics: an update [Review]. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. 20(8):536-46, 2012 Aug.
- Hou Z, Bowen TR, Irgit K, Strohecker K, Matzko M, Widmaier J, Smith WR, Locking Plate of Periprosthetic Femur Fractures Above Total Knee Arthroplasty Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma 2012 Jul;26(7): 427-432.
- Cornelius AL, Bowen TR, Mirenda WM. Anterolateral approach for an unusual pediatric capitellar fracture: a case report and review of the literature. Iowa Orthopaedic Journal. 2012 July vol. 32( ) 215-219
- Hou Z, Smith WR, Strohecker KA, Bowen TR, Irgit K, Baro SM, Morgan SJ. Hemodynamically unstable pelvic fracture management by advanced trauma life support guidelines results in high mortality. Orthopedics. 2012 March 7;35(3):184.
- Hou Z, Bowen TR, Irgit KS, Matzko ME, Andreychik CM, Horwitz DS, Smith WR Treatment of pertrochanteric fractures (AO/OTA 31-A1 and A2): with long versus short intramedullary nailing. Journal of Orthopedic Trauma, 27(6):318-24, 2013 Jun.
MD, Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University, 1997-2001
Residency, Geisinger Medical Center, 2001-2006
Fellowship, Orthopedic Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital , 2006-2007