Uchenna Ofoma, MD, MS
Research InterestsMy health services research strives to understand how hospital- and health system-level variations in organizational characteristics affect outcomes for critically ill patients, using large clinical databases. From a patient safety perspective, I also study how variations in care delivery processes in acute hospital care settings affect patient outcomes, using epidemiologic and quality control methodologies. Specific areas of research interest include sepsis, cardiac arrest, and the adult respiratory distress syndrome.
- Trends in Survival After In-Hospital Cardiac Arrest During Nights and Weekends. Ofoma UR, Basnet S, Berger A, Kirchner HL, Girotra S; American Heart Association Get With the Guidelines – Resuscitation Investigators. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2018 Jan 30;71(4):402-411. PMID: 29389356
- A qualitative exploration of the discharge process and factors predisposing to readmissions to the intensive care unit. Ofoma UR, Dong Y, Gajic O, Pickering BW. BMC Health Serv Res. 2018 Jan 5;18(1):6. PMID: 29304857
- Culture-Negative Septic Shock Compared With Culture-Positive Septic Shock: A Retrospective Cohort Study. Kethireddy S, Bilgili B, Sees A, Kirchner HL, Ofoma UR, Light RB, Mirzanejad Y, Maki D, Kumar A, Layon AJ, Parrillo JE, Kumar A; Cooperative Antimicrobial Therapy of Septic Shock (CATSS) Database Research Group. Crit Care Med. 2018 Jan 2. PMID:29293143
- The Interhospital Transfer of Mechanically Ventilated Patients: Too Little, Too Late, and Questionably Motivated? Ofoma UR, Walkey AJ. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2017 May;14(5):626-627.
- Case Volume-Outcomes Associations Among Patients With Severe Sepsis Who Underwent Interhospital Transfer. Ofoma UR, Dahdah J, Kethireddy S, Maeng D, Walkey AJ. Crit Care Med. 2017 Apr;45(4):615-622. PMID: 28151758
- Neuromuscular and Neuropsychological Assessments in Survivors of Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome: Exploratory Comparisons with an At-Risk Cohort.Ofoma UR, Reriani MK, Biehl M, Kashyap R, Ahmed AH, Rabinstein AA, Gajic C. (2015, June). Neurocritical Care , 22(3), 395-402. Full Text
- Six-month quality-of-life and functional status of acute respiratory distress syndrome survivors compared to patients at risk: a population-based study. Biehl M, Kashyap R, Ahmed AH, Reriani MK, Ofoma UR, Wilson GA, Li G, Malinchoc M, Sloan JA, Gajic O. (2015, Oct). Crit Care , 19, 356. Full Text
- Findings from the Implementation of a Validated Readmission Predictive Tool in the Discharge Workflow of a Medical Intensive Care Unit. Ofoma UR, Chandra S, Kashyap R, Herasevich V, Ahmed A, Gajic O, Pickering BW, Farmer CJ. (2014, Jun). Ann Am Thorac Soc , 11(5), 737-43. Full Text
- Premature cardiac contractions and risk of incident ischemic stroke.Ofoma U, He F, Shaffer ML, Naccarelli GV, Liao D. (2012, Oct). Journal of the American Heart Association , 1(5):e002519. Full Text
EducationMD, University of Nigeria
MRCSI, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
Internal Medicine Residency, Maimonides Medical Center, Brooklyn NY
MS, Pennnsylvania State University
Critical Care Fellowship, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN