Investigator Initiated Research Operations
The Investigator Initiated Research Operations (IIRO) office provides project management services for research projects, as well as mentorship and consultation support for investigators (e.g., clinicians, fellows, residents) who are developing a research project. Researchers are not required to consult with IIRO, but our staff is eager to provide help to those who seek it.
Consultation Support Services:
- Develop study hypothesis and aims.
- Decide what type of data and analysis is needed.
- Plan ahead for sample size or other logistical/practical considerations.
- Plan and develop a study proposal for a grant.
- Plan and develop a presentation, abstract or manuscript.
Consultation support is available to help research investigators at any stage of their process, but is best-suited for those who:
- Have an idea for a research project, but need help formulating it into a hypothesis or specific set of research questions.
- Have collected some interesting data but need help deciding how to design a study to make the best use of it.
- Have a well-developed research plan, but need some guidance or assistance navigating the various administrative and other requirements associated with research at Geisinger.
Project Management Services:
- Offer Good Clinical Practice-trained project coordinators and project managers (Society of Clinical Research Associates certified).
- Conduct basic data pulls and prep to research feasibility/population assessment analysis through de-identified Clinical Decision Intelligence System.
- Develop recruitment strategies for investigator initiated research.
- Assist with applications for internal or external grant funding, as well as proposals for external industry funding.
- Offer protocol development assistance and review.
- Manage investigator initiated studies from start to finish, including Institutional Review Board application and regulatory document management, data dictionary preparation and facilitation with data pulls, recruitment tracking, financial management, research staff training and communications, and study quality assurance reviews.
- Provide assistance with manuscript/abstract drafting and submission.
- Facilitate coordination with other cores as needed.