Adam H Buchanan, MS, MPH, CGC
Adam Buchanan is Associate Professor and Chair of the Department of Genomic Health at Geisinger. Mr. Buchanan is an NIH-funded investigator and board-certified and licensed genetic counselor with expertise in assessing genetic counseling outcomes and cancer risk management behaviors. His research interests include outcomes of genomic screening, delivery of genetics services, and performance of multi-cancer early detection tests. He is a former president of the American Board of Genetic Counseling.
- Savatt JM, Wagner JK, Joffe S, Rahm AK, Williams MS, David FD, Hergenrather J, Kelly MA, Kirchner HL, Meyer MN, Mozersky J, O’Dell SM, Pervola J, Bradbury A, Sturm AC, Buchanan AH. Pediatric Reporting of Genomic Results Study (PROGRESS): A mixed-methods, longitudinal, observational cohort study protocol to explore disclosure of actionable adult- and pediatric-onset genomic variants to minors and their parents. BMC Pediatrics. 2020 May 15 [online ahead of print]. PMID: 32414353.
- Hallquist MLG, Tricou EP, Hallquist MN, Savatt JM, Rocha H, Evans AE, Deckard N, Hu Y, Kirchner HL, Pervola P, Rahm AK, Rashkin M, Schmidlen TJ, Schwartz MLB, Williams JL, Williams MS, Buchanan AH. Positive impact of genetic counseling assistants on genetic counseling efficiency, patient volume, and cost in a cancer genetics clinic. Genet Med. 2020;22(8):1348-1354. PMID: 32350418.
- Lennon AM, Buchanan AH, Kinde I, Warren A, Honushefsky A, Cohain AT, Ledbetter DH, Sanfillipo F, Sheridan K, Rosica D, Adonizio CS, Hwang HJ, Lahouel K, Cohen JD, Douville C, Patel AA, Hagmann LN, Rolston DD, Malani N, Zhou S, Bettegowda C, Diehl DL, Urban B, Still CD, Kann L, Woods JI, Salvati ZM, Vadakara JJL, Leeming R, Bhattacharya P, Walter C, Parker A, Lengauer C, Klein A, Tomasetti C, Fishman EK, Hruban RH, Kinzler KW, Vogelstein B, Papadopoulos N. Feasibility of blood testing combined with PET-CT to screen for cancer and guide intervention. Science. 2020 Apr 28 [online ahead of print]. PMID: 32345712.
- Buchanan AH, Kirchner HL, Schwartz MLB, Kelly MA, Schmidlen T, Jones LK, Hallquist MLG, Rocha H, Betts M, Schwiter R, Butry L, Lazzeri AL, Frisbie LR, Rahm AK, Willard HF, Martin CL, Ledbetter DH, Williams MS, Sturm AC. Clinical outcomes of a genomic screening program for actionable genomic conditions. Genetics in Medicine. 2020;22(11):1874-1882. PMID: 32601386. (Selected as Top 10 paper of 2020 by NHGRI Genomic Medicine Working Group)
- Campbell-Salome G, Buchanan AH, Hallquist ML, Rahm AK, Rocha H, Sturm AC. Uncertainty management for individuals with Lynch Syndrome: Identifying and responding to healthcare barriers. Patient Education and Counseling. 2021;104(2):403-412. PMID: 32782180.
- Mozersky J, Meyer MN, O’Dell SM, Rahm AK, Buchanan AH. Balancing external validity and concern for psychosocial harms in translational genetic research. Ethics & Human Research. 2021;43(2):43-48. PMID: 33683017.
- Schwartz M, Buchanan AH, Hallquist MLG, Haggerty CM, Sturm AC. When the genetic test comes first: considerations for providing genetic counseling to patients with positive genomic screening results. Journal of Genetic Counseling. 2021 Jun;30(3):634-644. PMID: 33786929.
- Hallquist MLG, Tricou EP, Ormond KE, Savatt JM, Coughlin II CR, Faucett WA, Hercher L, Levy HP, O’Daniel JM, Peay HL, Stosic M, Smith M, Uhlmann WR, Wand H, Wain KE, Buchanan AH. Application of a framework to guide genetic testing communication across clinical indications. Genome Medicine. 2021 Apr 29;13(1):71. PMID: 33926532.
EducationMPH, University of North Carolina Gillings School of Public Health, 1998-2000
MS, University of North Carolina at Greensboro, 2002-2004