Annemarie G Hirsch, PhD, MPH
As the co-director of the Geisinger-Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health Environmental Health Institute, I leverage health system data to study social and environmental determinants of health, with a focus on chronic disease such as diabetes and respiratory conditions. I have worked with electronic health record data for more than fifteen years, developing and evaluating novel applications of electronic health record data in epidemiologic and health services research. My research is funded by the National Institutes of Health, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Pennsylvania Department of Health, and foundation grants.
- Thorpe LE, Adhikari A, Lopez P, Kanchi R, McClure LA, Hirsch AG, Howell CR, Zhu A, Alemi F, Rummo P, Ogburn EL, Algur Y, Nordberg CM, Poulsen MN, Long L, Carson AP, DeSilva SA, Meeker M, Schwartz BS, Lee DC, Siegel KR, Imperatore G, Elbel B. Neighborhood socioeconomic environment and risk of type 2 diabetes: Associations and mediation through food environment pathways in three independent study samples. Diabetes Care. 2022 Apr;45(4):798-810.
- Hirsch AG, Nordberg CM, Chang A, Poulsen MN, Moon KA, Siegel KR, Rolka DB, Schwartz BS. Association of community socioeconomic deprivation with evidence of reduced kidney function at time of type 2 diabetes diagnosis. Social Science & Medicine: Population Health. 2021 (15). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssmph.2021.100876
- Poulsen MN, Schwartz BS, Nordberg C, DeWalle J, Pollak J, Imperatore G, Mercado CI, Siegel KR, Hirsch AG. Association of greenness with blood pressure among individuals with type 2 diabetes across rural and urban community types in Pennsylvania, USA. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2021;18:614. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph18020614.
- Hirsch AG, Norberg C, Bandeen-Roche K, Tan BK, Schleimer RP, Kern RC, Sundaresan A, Pinto JM, Kennedy TL, Greene SC, Kuiper JR, Schwartz BS. Radiologic sinus inflammation and symptoms of chronic rhinosinusitis in a population-based sample. Allergy. 2019;75(4):911-920. doi.org/10.1111/all.14106.
- Hirsch AG, Durden ET, Nordberg C, Berger A, Schwartz BS. Associations of four community factors with longitudinal change in hemoglobin A1c levels in patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2018; 41(3): 461-468.
EducationMPH, Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health, 2001-2003
PhD, The Ohio State University College of Public Health, 2008-2012