Geisinger Commonwealth Office of Sponsored Programs
The Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) at Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine advances research and academic initiatives by assisting faculty and staff in obtaining external funding and support. OSP effectively manages the funding process for institutional compliance with federal, state and individual funding agency requirements as well as advancing collaborative efforts with other institutions. OSP serves the entire Geisinger Commonwealth community as a core service responsible for all pre- and post- award activities for grants awarded to Geisinger Commonwealth. These activities include identifying and qualifying funding sources, interpreting application guidelines, assisting faculty and staff in proposal and budget development, negotiating agreements, accepting awards and promoting compliance with sponsor and college policies. OSP reports to the associate dean for research and works in conjunction with the chief financial officer and the finance team.
- Assist faculty, staff and students in the preparation of proposals and other administrative aspects of sponsored projects as needed.
- Serve as the authorized organizational representative to submit applications to funding agencies on behalf of Geisinger. Commonwealth and as official liaison in communications with sponsoring agencies.
- Train Geisinger Commonwealth faculty, staff and students on Geisinger Commonwealth and sponsor policies, procedures and practices.
- Formulate grant and contract administration policies and procedures.
- Assure college compliance with federal grant requirements and terms and conditions such as effort reporting and cost sharing in collaboration with other Geisinger Commonwealth offices.
- Advise project directors and principal investigators on required reporting and budget management of awarded grants.
- Oversee negotiation, execution and administration of sponsored program grants and contracts from inception through closeout.
- Assure proper fiscal stewardship of sponsor funds.
- Participate in negotiation of federal facilities and administrative cost rates.
- In cooperation with other Geisinger Commonwealth departments, maintain official records concerning sponsored projects including official grant and contract files.