PGY2 Emergency Medicine Pharmacy Residency
Make a difference by enrolling in the Geisinger PGY2 Emergency Medicine Pharmacy Residency program.
Welcome to the PGY2 Emergency Medicine Pharmacy Residency program at Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center.
Here, you’ll find a dynamic and innovative experience for pharmacists who aim to become exceptionally skilled emergency medicine clinicians. Besides robust, diversified experiences in emergency medicine, you’ll have rich opportunities for cultivating teaching and leadership skills.
When you join the Emergency Medicine Pharmacy Residency program, we’ll build on your Doctor of Pharmacy education and develop you as a clinical pharmacist in a specialized area of practice.
A PGY2 residency gives you the opportunity to function independently as a practitioner by integrating experience into patient care and other settings.
When you successfully complete a PGY2 pharmacy residency, you’ll be prepared for advanced patient care, academic or other specialized positions, along with board certification.
The primary goal of the residency is to provide you with the training and experience to develop professional expertise as an emergency medicine pharmacy practitioner.
Additional goals include:
- To train you to be able to research, analyze and effectively communicate drug information
- To cultivate you as a competent and innovative practitioner who provides comprehensive pharmaceutical care services
- To foster your development as a professional who effectively, dynamically educates patients and healthcare providers
- To develop your ability to create and implement medication policies that ensure rational, cost-effective drug therapy for emergency medicine patients
Residency program experiences
Emergency medicine pharmacy experiences are designed to develop skills and competence in providing pharmaceutical care for emergency medicine patients. Curriculum and areas of emphasis are based on your knowledge, skills and career aspirations, with your experience customized to optimize learning.
Other educational experiences to expect:
- Model pharmacy practitioners with full-time practice and teaching responsibilities serve as preceptors for all learning experiences.
- Elective learning experiences allow you to further pursue interests related to individual career objectives.
- You’re encouraged to become involved in all pharmacy activities, including provision of direct patient care, completion of pharmacy consults, participation in management of medical emergencies and participation on committees.
- Learning experiences are designed to provide evidence-based, patient-centered medication therapy management with interdisciplinary teams.
- Teaching, research, leadership and other scholarly endeavors enhance your professional development.
Fortune/Merative ranked Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center #9 among the 25 Top Teaching Hospitals In 2022.
Our academic medical center is home to a 45-bed Emergency Department that provides 24/7 emergency medicine pharmacy coverage. Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center also has an intensive care unit, progressive care unit, multiple medical surgical care units, a cardiothoracic/vascular unit, a electrophysiology suite, a neonatal intensive care unit, an oncology unit and an outpatient cancer center.
We are a Level I Trauma Center, a Comprehensive Heart Attack Center and a Comprehensive Stroke Center. Two years in a row, we’ve received the highest rating (5-Star) from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). This CMS 5-Star rating is reserved for the highest-performing hospitals and is based on quality measurements that have real meaning for patient health, including safety, timeliness and effectiveness of care.
As part of our program, pharmacists respond to all inpatient adult code and stroke alerts as well as pediatric codes. We are fortunate to have a dedicated biocontainment unit designated by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
We’re pleased to host learners from more than 15 schools of pharmacy and Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. At Geisinger, we take pride in being at the cutting edge of technological innovation. This residency is designed to train future leaders in emergency medicine pharmacy practice.
Our residency offers you the opportunity to learn from a diverse, multidisciplinary team. Many of our pharmacists are board certified and residency trained. Our physicians are all board certified in emergency medicine, and we offer an emergency medicine medical residency as well. You’ll work with an excellent group of emergency medicine advanced practice providers and an equally exemplary group of emergency medicine nurses and respiratory therapists. We take a collaborative, team-based approach to the delivery of emergency medical care for our patients.
Our home: Northeastern Pennsylvania
Northeastern Pennsylvania (NEPA) is a great place to live, with safe neighborhoods, affordable living and access to amazing recreational activities. NEPA is close to New York City and Philadelphia, giving you access to major cities in just a few hours. Overall, our communities are a good bet for living a stress-free, healthy lifestyle. And more importantly, NEPA is a place where you can make a difference.