Emergency Medicine Residency – Northeast
Make a difference and save lives by enrolling in the Geisinger Emergency Medicine Residency – Northeast program.
Often, emergency medicine can be the difference between life and death. It takes a special person to serve on the front lines of this demanding field. At Geisinger, our mission is to train highly competent and compassionate practitioners of the art and science of emergency medicine.
Through a carefully guided process of progressive responsibility, you can expect the Emergency Medicine Residency program to train you to be an expert caregiver and communicator. You’ll also gain the medical knowledge to employ evidence-based practices.
A cornerstone of this program is to teach and instill professionalism as a core belief and practice pattern that can be recognized by your peers and patients alike.
Fortune/Merative ranked Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center #9 among the 25 Top Teaching Hospitals In 2022.
Our core values at Geisinger are kindness, excellence, safety, learning and innovation. These tenets fit well with the mission and philosophy of our program leadership.
The program aims to have faculty and residents reflect these values. As a resident, you will achieve competency in and reflect the following attributes:
- Evaluate, resuscitate and recognize patients with emergent conditions presenting to the Emergency Department
- Effectively manage multiple patients of various acuities in the Emergency Department
- Appropriately communicate and interact with a broad demographic of patients, ethnically and culturally
- Develop the skills to educate medical students, fellow residents, nurses and pre-hospital personnel
- Develop the skills to become a leader and represent emergency medicine in an administrative capacity
- Pass the American Board of Emergency Medicine written and oral exams
- Develop tools for self-evaluation and reflection
Our home: Northeastern Pennsylvania
Nestled in the Pocono Mountains and within a two-hour drive of both New York and Philadelphia, you will find NEPA is a great place to call home. The area is family-friendly and comfortable, offering numerous recreational activities for all to enjoy. There’s an abundance of year-round outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, kayaking and skiing. We also have several entertainment venues that host popular musicians and comedians as well as minor-league sports. Overall, our communities are a great place for living a healthy, stress-free lifestyle. And more importantly, NEPA is a place where you can make a difference.