Geisinger Wyoming Valley (Wilkes-Barre) Pharmacy Residency
Expand your clinical expertise and improve your communication with patients with Geisinger’s Pharmacy Residency at a busy, diverse hospital in Wilkes-Barre, Pa.
Jamie Kerestes, PharmD, BCCCP, program director
A career in pharmacy is about so much more than dispensing drugs. You need a deep and evolving knowledge of a vast array of ever-changing medications and their myriad potential interactions — and the skills to communicate this knowledge to patients who trust you with their health. Beyond that, you may want to acquire the special tools needed to work in emergency and trauma care and other specialized clinical settings.
Geisinger’s Pharmacy Residency (PGYI) program will give you the skills you need. Our Pharmacy Residency builds on your Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) education, with the ultimate goal of preparing you for board certification and for postgraduate year two Pharmacy Residency (PGY2) training.
Our goals are:
- To provide you with the training and experience to develop professional expertise as a health system pharmacy practitioner
- To cultivate you as a competent, innovative practitioner who’s ready to provide comprehensive pharmaceutical services across the continuum of care
- To train you to effectively research, analyze and communicate drug information
The PGY1 Pharmacy Residency at Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center in Wilkes-Barre, Pa., will help you develop every aspect of yourself as a pharmacist — your clinical skills, your professional goals and your personal growth. And from day one, you’ll be treated as a trusted, valued colleague on a pharmacy team that’s committed to delivering the highest possible quality of patient care. You’ll work with department members who have full-time practice and teaching responsibilities and serve as preceptors for the learning experiences.
Fortune/Merative ranked Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center #9 among the 25 Top Teaching Hospitals in 2022.
As our pharmacy resident, you’ll be immersed in a rich and varied curriculum that includes:
- Learning experiences designed to develop your skills and competence in providing evidence-based, patient-centered medication therapy management with interdisciplinary teams
- A structure and areas of emphasis tailored to your entering level of knowledge, skills and career aspirations
- Elective learning experiences that allow you to further pursue interests related to your career goals
- Opportunities to be involved in all pharmacy activities, including direct patient care, pharmacy consults, management of medical emergencies, various projects and participation on committees
- Teaching, research and other scholarly endeavors that will enhance your professional development
Geisinger has a strong tradition of research. As our PGY1 pharmacy resident, you’ll also be expected to take an active role in our research culture. We want to help you become a lifelong learner who’s passionate about following the latest research and innovations — and who’s ready to contribute to developments in the field, too.
We hope you’ll apply to join us.
Geisinger serves more than 1 million people in central and northeastern Pennsylvania. We’ve been nationally recognized for innovative practices in quality, delivery models such as ProvenCare® and the use of an award-winning electronic medical record, Epic®. Our physician-led system has about 24,000 employees, including nearly 1,700 physicians, 10 hospital campuses, two research centers and a health plan with more than half a million members, all of which boost our hometown economies by $8 billion annually.